• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus S wont mount to my PC!

Qasim2143214

Jul 12, 2011
Hello, I'm Qasim. My nexus S used to mount perfectly but now I plug it in to my computer and it doesnt have the icons in the notifications bar, the computer isn't identifying it, and I am really getting iritated. Does anyone know the problem? USB Debugging = enabled, Ive restarted multiple times in result of nothing.

Hello, I'm Qasim. My nexus S used to mount perfectly but now I plug it in to my computer and it doesnt have the icons in the notifications bar, the computer isn't identifying it, and I am really getting iritated. Does anyone know the problem? USB Debugging = enabled, Ive restarted multiple times in result of nothing.
FYI - You don't need USB Debugging enabled, that's for developers. By default the Nexus S will pop up a window whenever it's connected to a computer asking if you want to enable USB. If that doesn't pop up, then it's not recognizing the presence of a computer on the other end of the cable.

Do you have another USB cable to check to make sure it's not a defective cable?

Upvote 0
When its plugged it, the android says it is charging, can it still be defective.
Yes, because USB support and charging are on separate pins in the port.
I only have the blackberry chargers, I know those will fit but is it okay if I use them?
Yes, you can use them to charge the device. But you may not be able to use them for data connections to the computer.

Where is the cable that came with the phone?

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Upvote 0
This happens to be quite often...but eventually on the 20th or 30th plug in it recognises it. :\

That sounds like a defective USB cable or port. See if you can't try using a different cable and/or different ports on your PC. If that doesn't work, it's likely the port on your phone. Be careful plugging and unplugging it over and over, as this will damage it further, eventually to the point that it will no longer even charge.

Upvote 0
My Nexus S 4g has been working properly with my work PC (Windows 7)...until last Thursday. I've been using CompanionLink to sync, but the PC delivers an error message when I connect my phone, saying "USB Device Not Recognized." I've switched cables, and I've tried connecting to two Windows 7 PCs at home...same problem. The phone will charge, but it isn't available as a USB drive and I can't sync. Could this be related to the Google upgrade that rolled out about this time last week? I've done all the obvious things...rebooted the PC, removed the battery from the phone, replaced the battery with a new one. Our IT manager is puzzled...first time I've ever seen him stumped. I can't sync with Outlook using Exchange...can't do that with a personal phone due to corporate security, so that option is out. I don't want to wipe my phone, but will do as a last resort if someone knows that will work.

Upvote 0
My Nexus S 4g has been working properly with my work PC (Windows 7)...until last Thursday. I've been using CompanionLink to sync, but the PC delivers an error message when I connect my phone, saying "USB Device Not Recognized." I've switched cables, and I've tried connecting to two Windows 7 PCs at home...same problem. The phone will charge, but it isn't available as a USB drive and I can't sync. Could this be related to the Google upgrade that rolled out about this time last week? I've done all the obvious things...rebooted the PC, removed the battery from the phone, replaced the battery with a new one. Our IT manager is puzzled...first time I've ever seen him stumped. I can't sync with Outlook using Exchange...can't do that with a personal phone due to corporate security, so that option is out. I don't want to wipe my phone, but will do as a last resort if someone knows that will work.

Have you tried a different cable? Mine did this exact same thing. It turned out to be a defective USB port on the phone and I had to warrenty it off to Samsung because it took about a month before it started acting up. It eventually got to the point that it didn't even charge anymore.

Upvote 0
Have you tried a different cable? Mine did this exact same thing. It turned out to be a defective USB port on the phone and I had to warrenty it off to Samsung because it took about a month before it started acting up. It eventually got to the point that it didn't even charge anymore.

Took my phone to Sprint this morning and the tech rep used some denatured alcohol to clean the USB port. Phone mounted properly so I'm anxious to try it Monday on my work PC.

Upvote 0
Took my phone to Sprint this morning and the tech rep used some denatured alcohol to clean the USB port. Phone mounted properly so I'm anxious to try it Monday on my work PC.

Let me know if that worked. I have a nexux s 4g and have the same issue. I did the reset yesterday and it did not solve the problem. Now I don't know what to do next. Sprint Tech support could not fix it and wanted me to do a reset forst and then will exchange the phone??

I just cleaned mine and it did not help?

Upvote 0
Let me know if that worked. I have a nexux s 4g and have the same issue. I did the reset yesterday and it did not solve the problem. Now I don't know what to do next. Sprint Tech support could not fix it and wanted me to do a reset forst and then will exchange the phone??

I just cleaned mine and it did not help?

Cleaning the USB port didn't solve the problem permanently so Sprint replaced the phone yesterday. Tech rep decided the port was defective and I had insurance...for the first time.

Upvote 0
Cleaning the USB port didn't solve the problem permanently so Sprint replaced the phone yesterday. Tech rep decided the port was defective and I had insurance...for the first time.

That is what they wanted to do to mine but they wouldn't guarantee it would not happen again as the ytold me this is a known issue and they do not have a fix for it yet. Di you get a new phone or a refurb? I was told I would get a refurb.

Upvote 0
That is what they wanted to do to mine but they wouldn't guarantee it would not happen again as the ytold me this is a known issue and they do not have a fix for it yet. Di you get a new phone or a refurb? I was told I would get a refurb.

I got a new phone...maybe due in having insurance, maybe due to being a very long-time Sprint customer and knowing the people in the store near my home. I would not have accepted a refurb.

Upvote 0
"Seems that the driver didn't automagically install the first time I plugged the phone in."

Phone: Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Computer Make: Asus
Model: UL30A Series
Type: 64-bit Operating system

1. When I plugged in the USB to my computer, the phone would charge, and the notification bar would briefly show the USB icon and then it would disappear.
2. Phone didn't prompt me to turn on USB storage, but I could turn on tethering and would have network access. The phone did not appear as a storage device on my PC.
3. I plugged it into another laptop and it worked perfectly.
4. Plugged it back into my PC, tried all the different USB ports with no luck.
5. Checked Start > Devices & Printers. The Nexus S appeared as a generic device at the bottom. Right click icon and select "Properties" and the info was mostly greyed out. Select "Hardware" tab and then "Properties".
6. In new Properties window, selected "Driver" and then "Update Driver" and then "Search automatically..."
7. It found the driver, updated, and then the phone's USB storage mounted correctly. Seems that the driver didn't automagically install the first time I plugged the phone in.

HTH

Upvote 0

I used to have a Nexus S 4G, but none the less I have had this same problem with my current G2x. I have to basically re-enable to the USB Mass Storage option on my settings to get it to work. This Android video demonstrates how to do this.

Good luck mate!

Reactions: dmanlee
Upvote 0
"Seems that the driver didn't automagically install the first time I plugged the phone in."

Phone: Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Computer Make: Asus
Model: UL30A Series
Type: 64-bit Operating system

1. When I plugged in the USB to my computer, the phone would charge, and the notification bar would briefly show the USB icon and then it would disappear.
2. Phone didn't prompt me to turn on USB storage, but I could turn on tethering and would have network access. The phone did not appear as a storage device on my PC.
3. I plugged it into another laptop and it worked perfectly.
4. Plugged it back into my PC, tried all the different USB ports with no luck.
5. Checked Start > Devices & Printers. The Nexus S appeared as a generic device at the bottom. Right click icon and select "Properties" and the info was mostly greyed out. Select "Hardware" tab and then "Properties".
6. In new Properties window, selected "Driver" and then "Update Driver" and then "Search automatically..."
7. It found the driver, updated, and then the phone's USB storage mounted correctly. Seems that the driver didn't automagically install the first time I plugged the phone in.

HTH

I try to search automatically and it says it can not find the drivers. Where can I find the driver? Just need my phone to plug and play into my computer and got a new Nexus S from Sprint and still having same issues. Please help.

Upvote 0
I solved my problem the other day. Look in the USB port on the phone and there is a flat part that should be in the middle so it goes inside the usb plug. Mine was bent and was missing the plug but when I bent it back with a little pocket knife it has been working flawlessly ever since!!

Figured I'd register after google sent me to this thread - nothing worked, till I did this.. scary stuff!
talk about a design flaw...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones