• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus S wont mount to my PC!

I solved my problem the other day. Look in the USB port on the phone and there is a flat part that should be in the middle so it goes inside the usb plug. Mine was bent and was missing the plug but when I bent it back with a little pocket knife it has been working flawlessly ever since!!

I registered JUST to say thanks for suggesting this. Nothing else worked for me until I tried it.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
I solved my problem the other day. Look in the USB port on the phone and there is a flat part that should be in the middle so it goes inside the usb plug. Mine was bent and was missing the plug but when I bent it back with a little pocket knife it has been working flawlessly ever since!!

Thank you, I too registered just to say "thanks".
I kept cursing my 3yr old laptop's USB port & did what not to make it work.
Now I realize that I was the one who screwed the usb port on my Nexus S by using a mobile charger whose cable kept flipping out while in my pocket.
God is in the details :) Thanks again !!

Upvote 0
Hi all. I have this issue too with my Nexus S, but its a little more complex. I have an Asus laptop running Windows 7 and a desktop running XP. If I plug into the desktop, it will recognise the phone and I can transfer files, but not tether it for the internet. If I plug into the laptop, I can usually tether for the net, as well as transfer files. This usually works a treat, until I got the ICS update. Now I can't tether on the laptop at all, none of the USB ports will recognise the phone. I've tried all the ports and another USB cable. I am currently tethered with my wife's Galaxy S, which is working like a drem with both PC's.

Help please!!

Upvote 0
Hi all! It turns out that something happened to the USB charging port. After I sent this post, my desktop wouldn't recognise it either. I got some rubbing alchohol and tried that, but that didn't work. As I need it for work, I sent my phone to the nearest Samsung Service Centre. They had a look, said it was a software issue, reset the phone and I'm waiting for it to come in the mail. It was even covered under warranty! Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Upvote 0
Hey guys~!

So what others have said about this being a hardware problem is completely true. I'm here to prove it.

First try inserting the usb-phone end into the phone PROPERLY. People have a bad habit of just inserting a jack without properly doing so. Insert it securely (i.e.: it shouldn't wiggle around) without being too forceful. This should start up the usb notification.

If it doesn't, try using a new usb cord.

If all else fails... sorry, your phone port is probably displaced. I don't recommend you doing anything further like shoving a pocket knife in there. You could if your warranty is up. But doing so will make any warranty no longer valid.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Seriously? It worked... WOWW. Well better than a refurbished Nexus I guess... Thanks buddy :p

Upvote 0
I registered JUST to say thanks for suggesting this. Nothing else worked for me until I tried it.
Thanks!

same here. i tried a number of different suggested fixes and nothing worked until i came upon your suggestion. a little hesitant at first and worried i would mess up the hardware. but i figured its not working anyways, whats the risk.

It worked!! :D thank you!

Upvote 0

Put another one on the list! A pocket knife, 60 seconds and a gallon of sweat and my phone is fixed! Thank you very much. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones