• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Nexus software key burn in

Has anyone noticed residual imaging with the software keys at the bottom?

None at all. And my screen is on a lot, as I work 12 hour shifts and am always on the phone not working ;) When I click on something in the app drawer I can see some shadows where the icons were, but it goes away pretty fast. Pretty much the only time my software keys are gone is when watching YouTube videos, and I've never seen any image retention where they were.

Upvote 0
LED images will burn in after a long, long time; but burn-in of those nav buttons isn't going to be an issue over the expected life span of the phone.

I have an LED TV and have to be more careful: those stupid channel logos in the corner or a news channel ticker may burn in over a period of time, but an LED screen on a phone that will last me 2 or 3 years? No sweat.

Do you think your screen is already burnt in or something?

Upvote 0
Yes! I notice it all the time. Although, it's not the softkey icons it's the whole softkey bar. When watching a video that expands to fill the area normally occupied by the virtual keys, there is a very obvious section of the screen that doesn't match the rest of the display.

It's pretty annoying.

^This.

I see it all the time when the screen expands for video. I even see it around the softkey icons but it's not as pronounced. Very annoying indeed.

Upvote 0
What's causing the discoloration? Most of the navigation bar is black (off). So why is there such an obvious discoloration when that part of the screen actually gets used?

Not being able to see the screen, Barb: if you have burn-in, only the pixels where the nav buttons are would be visible all the time... even when playing a full-screen video, you would still be able to make out the ghosted shapes of the nav buttons. But that doesn't sound like the case here.

Could be a failing display. It sounds like a trip to a Verizon store is in order to me...

Upvote 0
What's causing the discoloration? Most of the navigation bar is black (off). So why is there such an obvious discoloration when that part of the screen actually gets used?

You could look at it as the rest of the screen burning in, and the nav-bar and notification bar being the only two parts that don't. Because the rest of the screen is actually being used, the blue OLEDs dim a little bit, whilst the unused ones in the nav-bar area are just about good as new. That means that the nav-bar area will be tinted blue because the blue OLEDs are healthier than in the rest of the screen.

I think there may be an 'initial drop-off' in the brightness of blue OLEDs, as well. So it starts at 100, and quickly drops off as you use the phone to a point where it decreases at a much slower rate from there on in.

That actually gives me an idea for an app which could fix this, which would show a blue image at the top and bottom over where the nav-bar and notification bar are, and then have the rest of the screen as pure black. If you left that on for long enough, perhaps you could dim the blue OLEDs in those areas enough to reduce the disparity between the different areas of the screen. Of course, if you do do that, and it somehow screws up your phone, we'll just pretend I didn't say this.

By the way, blue has the shortest lifespan of any OLED colour. Sort of funny, then, that Google would choose blue as their colour scheme from ICS going forward - though I suppose blue is the coolest colour (in every sense of the word).

Oh, and it isn't a screen fault. I have no idea how other people have managed to not have their screens burn in around the nav-bar (watching a hell of a lot of movies, perhaps?), but it's standard OLED behaviour and one of their most well-known drawbacks. It could be that I'm right about my initial drop-off idea, and they have just watched enough movies/full-screen stuff to have the blue OLEDs around the nav-bar go through that drop off as well.

Upvote 0
Okay. I made a short video to test out the screen. Simple Color Test (R, G, B, Black, 50% Gray, White) - YouTube

With the screen at 100% the effect is still present, but not as noticeable. I sometimes watch videos at night before bed with the lights off (screen is dim). I guess this explains why I often notice the effect.

The effect is most dramatic when the screen is dim. I took pictures with the screen brightness at 10%. The pictures are (red, green, blue, 50% gray, and white).

The vertical bands on the red and blue shots are actually present, but I never noticed them until I took these pictures. The wavy lines are camera distortion.

8QwoK.jpg

qoOcm.jpg

77aQz.jpg

WriBC.jpg

izZlv.jpg

Reactions: rg7718
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones