1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Nexus UK mobile connection speed

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by daffyduck, Jan 16, 2010.

1. daffyduck

daffyduck Guest

Just wondering if anybody in the UK has managed to get their Nexus connected to an H-band mobile network signal?

Just tried the same location with my OH's Hero (we are both on Vodafone) and while she is able to connect to H-band (HSPDA I presume or similar), I am only able to get 3G.

Is this the same kind of issue experienced by users in the US?

Having come from a Hero myself, I am a bit gutted that my Nexus (which I love) is somehow slower.

Advertisement

2. saquib

saquib Member

May 7, 2009
    Hi

The H symbol is a HTC Sense UI thing. On vanilla Android 3g is displayed only although you will be connected at 'H' speeds.

3. daffyduck

daffyduck Guest

Okay, so that seems a logical explanation but it does not explain the difference in speeds tested using Speed Test app off the Market:

Hero = 1653 kbps download
    Nexus = 430 kbps download

The only difference in the detail reported by the app, is that the Nexus was connected to a Cell network and the Hero to a Utms network?!?

Any ideas? :thinking:

4. markouk

markouk Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Fife, Scotland
    Just done a quick test on mine and it picks up a Utms in Derry.

It was 527 kbps with only 1 - 0 bars signal. Not too great where I am for 3G.
    I have no other device to compare.

Okay, tried again with 3 bars 3G signal and got 1229 kbps down and 360 kbps up.
    That's decent for me.

5. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Army
    Camberley
    wouldn't know how to tell the difference between a 'H' signal and a '3G' signal. My N1 seems very fast when connected to my mobile network (vodafone). There's a 3g symbol next to the signal indicator so I'm assuming this means I'm connected to 3G and not H Band.

How do I know if I can connect to H Band?

6. daffyduck

daffyduck Guest

Checked the Nexus manual and it can connect to H-band, it's just that I yet to witness significant mobile speeds.

I will be off into Winchester today, where I know I used to be able to connect to H on my Hero & post speed results later.

7. cxm

cxm Active Member

Jan 11, 2010
    There is a status menu in the "about phone" settings menu that should tell you what network you are connected to - can't say for sure if it will tell you if it is hsdpa as I can only get edge where I live

8. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Army
    Camberley
    winchester - just down the road from me. and I used to live in Fair Oak (near Eastleigh).

9. daffyduck

daffyduck Guest

Ha, small world isn't it.

Bit happier now as on the way back from Romsey, I did a speed test approaching Winchester:

Download - 1758 kbps
    Upload - 819 kbps on a cell network

Still awaiting the elusive HSPDA network......

Tags: