1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Nexus updates: How is this divvied between Goog, VZW & Sammy?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by speede541, Dec 28, 2011.

1. speede541

speede541 Android Enthusiast

So I'm aware that GNex updates are expected to come directly from Google, I'm down with that. But my question delves a little deeper...

Google is clearly responsible for ICS and, I suppose, how it relates with the phone's hardware.

But would it be Google who would code updates to the camera module's firmware (for instance)? Or would this fall to Samsung?

And same question for the radio. On other phones I hear about Verizon testing and releasing radio updates -- would they kick these back to Google for release? Is there any involvement from the radio's supplier, whom I assume has a direct relationship with Samsung, but probably a less cut-and-dry relationship with VZW? Same for the GSM Nexus phones, where there is a whole field of carriers using identical technology.

Despite this being a "Google phone," there are a bunch of players who must ultimately have a hand in the lifecycle of this device.

Just curious...

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Android Enthusiast

Google > Samsung > carrier.

3. well 4.0.2 did come to the verizon version before gsm so that should show how updates will be, not going to get slowed down by carriers.

4. speede541

speede541 Android Enthusiast

Ok, well let me ask a different way.

Say we're looking for a metering adjustment to the camera.

Is it up to Google to ask Samsung to chase it down via the camera module's manufacturer?

Or does Google code it themselves?

Would Samsung volunteer it, or work on it on their own? Or do they essentially wipe their hands of any non-Google requested updates / changes, since it's not really "their" phone?

5. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Android Enthusiast

Well Sir/Madam, I think you are splitting hairs here. OPEN SOURCE! Google puts out the big picture through their SDK, Manufacturers add some brush strokes, as do the carriers. Then it is up to Developers to write code to do specific things such as you are asking.

Essentially, I hesitate to direct you to the Developers Web site, but the developers are the ones that put the details onto/into the operating system. YOU or I are both able to go to the Developers web site and learn how to code for the specific aspects we want to use and share with others. Share means a person using Android can have our work for free or for a fee.

Android SDK | Android Developers

I know that this is not what you want to hear, but sir/madam this is the way Android is designed. You need to go onto developer threads and ask them to give you an app that will do what you want.

I know it sounds crude. Sorry. This is just the way this works. I hope that you can post someplace in a forum and request a developer to code an app that meets your requirements.

Edit: as far as system upgrades, Frayo to Ginger Bread to Ice Cream Sandwich, I have no idea who decides what phone gets the upgrade.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews