• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root NexusOne/CyanogenMod for Droid successfully built from source

Gunner

Android Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2009
So over at that other site, there is a hot thread about this new ROM built from source specifically for the Droid (as opposed to a ROM ported from another phone). Supposedly, this is the holy grail of ROM cooking?

Anybody tried this one out? The dev says he's already working on an Android 2.1r2 build for the Droid.

Known bugs:
When the phone FIRST starts up, the wallpaper is white. The Nexus live wall paper doesn't work, and unfortunately, that is the default wall paper. Just change it to fix that.
The launcher app list doesn't work properly in landscape. Looking into a fix.
The launcher app list looks funny in portrait sometimes on first boot. Fix by rebooting after the first boot.
I didn't package wifi tether with this mod.

The only hokey part is that the official multitouch source has not been released yet. I got this working by installing the Nexus One multitouch update on top of the my Droid build.

It might be worth it for some people to try, but since it appears to still be plagued with the same bugs as the other ROMs, I personally don't see the benefit. I will stick with the ROM I am using now until 2.1 is officially released and people can start working on fully operational ROMs.

Upvote 0
I've been running it since the first beta and it has definitely improved, and works great. Launcher2 still needs improvement but he put launcher in there for people who want a seemless experience. V1.0 is built from the Droid 2.1 kernel so it's a little more optimized, and doesn't even need the OCing, where the betas did to get rid of some lag with launcher2. He's working on an OC kernel, but can't check up because alldroid is finally changing, after months of talk about it.
Live wallpapers work, haven't tried them with the 2.0.1 launcher but you still will get reboots ocasionally with launcher2. Keyboard backlight, and unlocking when opening keyboard need to be fixed, but it'll happen, koush knows what he's doing.

His recovery image, clockwork recovery, is different from SPrecovery. It's from official nandroid source, so it makes fastboot compatible .imgs (droid doesn't use) but has the advantage of working on many android phones. The point being, backups made on one aren't compatible with the other, vice versa, so your SPrecovery backups won't work with it.

Any other specific questions I can answer. Oh yeah, he incorporated code from people over at AOSP, one very cool part, 360

Upvote 0
I understand the hesitation, but if it makes you feel more at ease, you can reflash SPrecovery at any time, even if it doesn't boot up using adb and restore the old .tars/.imgs. The whole thing is that, Sir Psycho said it himself, is that his recovery is droid specific and works great, but is different from the whole android modding community. Koush programs on several devices so needs the compatability, but we'll see what direction they both go.

Upvote 0
I understand the hesitation, but if it makes you feel more at ease, you can reflash SPrecovery at any time, even if it doesn't boot up using adb and restore the old .tars/.imgs. The whole thing is that, Sir Psycho said it himself, is that his recovery is droid specific and works great, but is different from the whole android modding community. Koush programs on several devices so needs the compatability, but we'll see what direction they both go.

Thanks for the detailed response. I may take the plunge. It might be a good thing the SB is Droid specific. Who knows what I might try flashing when I get bored. Next thing I know in a flashing frenzy, my Droid might turn into an iPhone :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones