• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NFC and FM Radio on VM version

I've read that these features are available on the G Stylo. I bought the VM version yesterday. Not activated yet as I've ordered an outer case + screen protector from amazon, and a Class 10 UHS 3 64 gb card from B&H.

I'd be happy to have NFC. The FM radio, not so much as VM has data free music through Pandora and Slacker radio. Would be nice to have it still.

Reactions: prrep
FM radio works on VM G Stylo! :D From nextradio app:

Screenshot_2016-01-09-22-57-34_zpsbtg0al9f.png

Reactions: jmacie
Upvote 0
Hi guys I myself have the Virgin Mobile version & I'm 100% sure that it does have the FM radio feature, Just have to download Nextradio from the Playstore & it works like a charm.
(But it does not have NFC).

Oh boo... Oh well at least my credit card has the RFID chip. Hope I receive a debit card with that soon! That's what I would've wanted nfc for... Not a deal breaker for me but still... :p

Reactions: jmacie
Upvote 0
I've never really looked into NFC. I always thought of it as just another useless "feature" to be always on and draining the battery - and the whatever the benefit was suppose to be would not out weigh the battery drain. Just curious - what do you guys actually use it for that gets you so excited?

Well... DUH. ;)

For some (especially those seemingly tethered to their phones 24/7), it's great for the credit card apps that lets them wave their precious jewels over the NFC scanners that many department stores have. It can save some time (or does it...?) from pulling out your wallet just to grab your credit/debit card. It's also used for quickly tapping other phones with NFC to initiate file transfers. I can understand it being useless to you, as I don't care for it much myself, but there are some good uses for it. :)

Here's one great article on using NFC:
http://www.howtogeek.com/212117/how-to-use-programmable-nfc-tags-with-your-android-phone/

Reactions: Jack Mickey
Upvote 0
NFS is not supported on the VirginMobile Stylo. Also I did a hardware check and OTG USB is not supported. Crazy thing is that this same phone on Boost or FamilyTalk has NFC. What a waste of phone. Oh but is has FM Radio..Big Deal.. :rolleyes:

I was disappointed when I found that OTG isn't supported. I listen to quite a few public and college radio stations while on a bus to work, so yeah, the FM radio is a Big Deal! :) At least I don't have tunein eating my high speed data for the month. I do use the other apps VM suggests people use for streaming audio sometimes, but even those take away some data because of the ads (in free mode).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones