• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NFC between friends

I noticed the S5 has NFC. How do I use this with my friend's LG X Charge? Is that actually the L6? Do they both have to have NFC?

Yeh, both phones definitely need to have NFC, otherwise how could it work? LG X Charge, I don't know this phone at all, can't find any definitive info on it, but if it's a budget to mid-range device it may not have NFC. As for actually connecting and sharing stuff between devices using NFC, there is(or was?) Android Beam, which I'm sure is now deprecated, and haven't seen any recent devices that have it at all. There is also Samsung S-Beam which I believe the S5 has, but that's only supported between Samsung Galaxy series phones that have NFC. The other thing with NFC, phones have to be basically touching for them to communicate.

Frankly the only thing I use NFC for is to add credit to my Beijing Subway contactless card when I need to use it sometimes.

FYI you can use Bluetooth to connect devices and share things between them, that's pretty much supported by all phones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rgarner
Upvote 0
Yeah, the S5 has both Android Beam and S Beam. I guess I'll have to check the LG. It cost about $170 from Cricket, which would make it low midrange? The phone it's supposed to replace is a ZTE Z815 for $27 from walmart. The thing is literally falling apart (think of a sandwich with innards falling out), but it still miraculously works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones