• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help NFC file transfers (android beam)

andrews317

Android Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2011
Honduras
I got an S2 T989 for my gf on ebay (unlocked). I have a Nexus 4 and I was excited to transfer files with her phone via NFC as I do with a friend's Xperia. But I haven't been able to do it. When trying to transfer a picture, I place both phones close, I hear the sound that let's me know there's an NFC connection, but when I try to transfer from my N4 it says that the other device doesn't support that kind of files.

I made a little research to find out that S-beam is just for Samsung devices, so I turned off the S-beam option on the S2, just leaving the Android Beam. But still no success. Is it possible to transfer a picture through NFC from a Samsung to a non-Samsung?

The S2 is running 4.0.3 stock, not rooted. I'm sure that rooting and flashing a vanilla rom might solve this, but I don't want to mess her phone to roms because she is sort of a newby in smartphones.

Reactions: andrews317
Upvote 0
The NFC functions on the t-mobile T989 are available running the 4.04 OS but you have to turn it on first. It's found by tapping on Settings from the home screen, Wireless and Networks, More, NFC, Allow data exchange when device touches another device. Your girlfriends ROM is just one update away and the update is an official t-mobile one. http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2-t-mobile/609469-official-ics-4-0-4-update-available.html

I'll give it a try with 4.0.4. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Instead of a picture, try tapping a web page or a contact. I've read that some of these phones or apps don't allow gallery pictures due to size limits. I have never gotten this to work at all.

I've managed to transfer contacts. No luck with pictures. I always get this message about size limits as you say. I've seen some apps on Play Store that are supposed to transfer files using NFC, but haven't got the chance to test it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones