1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

NFC hardware in Atrix?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by milk21, Feb 11, 2011.

1. milk21

milk21 Newbie
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    I'm excited about the potential for NFC technology, so I was disappointed to learn that the Atrix wasn't going to have the hardware for it. However, this PCWorld review makes me think otherwise ...

Does anyone have the scoop on this? Is NFC hardware built into the Atrix, and therefore ready when the Gingerbread update comes out? Or is this just a poorly-written / inaccurate passage from the writer?

Advertisement

2. monsteroyd

monsteroyd Lurker
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    I vote: poorly-written / inaccurate passage

]Monty[

3. milk21

milk21 Newbie
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    I tend to agree ... just hopefully optimistic.

4. youareme7

youareme7 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 6, 2011
    EE
    I haven't heard a single thing about NFC being in this phone either. I don't think it will have it built in. Personally I think that if it really does take off in the US, carriers will start using NFC enabled SIM cards, which would be easier than needing it built into the phone. It would be a fun little feature to include and I'm always a fan of more gizmos, but I don't think it's the case here. On a similar note I was a tiny bit disappointed that the Atrix won't have gyros in it either, which would be a nice addition to have since it's starting to be more common.

5. dyezak

dyezak Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 1, 2011
    I'd love to see NFC, but here in the US NFC isn't as valuable as in EU. Our infrastructure hasn't been built out to use NFC as much. But the possibilities are endless with ditching your credit cards, your debt cards, housing your ID/Passport info, unlock doors, start your car, log into your computer, etc etc etc.

magnetiteNOSTRIL likes this.
  6. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Android Expert
    None

May 13, 2010
    video editor
    Charlotte, NC
    i was wondering about that. hadn't seen anyone mention it specifically. kinda disappointed in that as well. should be a standard at this point imo.

7. Evo4sickness

Evo4sickness Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 1, 2010
    I hate to be the person to point out that such a cool sounding technology is actually not at what it seems to be and this is actually very dangerous. Let me first make everyone understand this isnt a new technology at all its just under a different name. All this is a RFID chip. Whih actually has been used for no less than 50 years. The was the size thy started becoming more popular and used in the past 30 years. Its goal was to replace barcodes. Almost every major corporation and product companies use them today for tracking. This is not a problem. The issue and dangerous part had come about in the past 10 years after 911 where the goverment has started put them in humans. And by the way everyone with a new passport has a RFID chip in the last page. Dont beileve me go ahead and microwave it for 5 to 10 seconds you will see the chip spark and dont worry about it catching fire it wont since paper cant be burned by microwave signals. The fact is the government uses it to track everthing and this is a movement to try a centralize that control into your phone.

8. vrsantana

vrsantana Newbie
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    At&t Sales Rep
    Eustis FL
    The government sees everything and controls everything too. What they don't want me to tell you is th

9. dsmoot

dsmoot Newbie
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Oh no, they got Kenny!