• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

reiththestud

Android Enthusiast
May 1, 2010
So I went to McDonalds today so I could try out Google Wallet. I went to the wireless settings to make sure NFC was turned on, went to Google Wallet to make sure it was unlocked and the $10 debit card was selected as the card I wanted to use, and I made sure I connected to the McDonalds wifi and accepted the terms and agreements in the browser to make sure my connection to the internet was complete. When I went to pay, I placed the back center of the N7 directly on the NFC pad. AND...... nothing. I placed it on it again, and again, and again. Then I turned the device on and tried doing it while I was actually in the Wallet app. Still nothing. No errors or anything. It just didn't seem to work. I didn't bother to ask the cashier whether the NFC pads were turned on since he genuinely seemed confused by what I was trying to do anyway. This was my first try at Google wallet. Any thoughts?

So I went to McDonalds today so I could try out Google Wallet. I went to the wireless settings to make sure NFC was turned on, went to Google Wallet to make sure it was unlocked and the $10 debit card was selected as the card I wanted to use, and I made sure I connected to the McDonalds wifi and accepted the terms and agreements in the browser to make sure my connection to the internet was complete. When I went to pay, I placed the back center of the N7 directly on the NFC pad. AND...... nothing. I placed it on it again, and again, and again. Then I turned the device on and tried doing it while I was actually in the Wallet app. Still nothing. No errors or anything. It just didn't seem to work. I didn't bother to ask the cashier whether the NFC pads were turned on since he genuinely seemed confused by what I was trying to do anyway. This was my first try at Google wallet. Any thoughts?

The NFC sensor is on the top corner of the tab (can't remember which one). When I did it I just started on the top right corner and slid it across to the top left. I believe it has to be very close to a sensor to sensor line up, even off a little bit (like the center of the tablet) will not work.

Hope this helps (and that you had the cash to pay for lunch).:)

Reactions: reiththestud
Upvote 0
The NFC sensor is on the top corner of the tab (can't remember which one). When I did it I just started on the top right corner and slid it across to the top left. I believe it has to be very close to a sensor to sensor line up, even off a little bit (like the center of the tablet) will not work.

Hope this helps (and that you had the cash to pay for lunch).:)

Well that would explain it. I remember in Youtube videos showing off the NFC and wifi direct between a Galaxy Nexus and a Nexus 7 they were just placing the phone and tablet back to back and centered. So I just assumed that's where the center was. I didn't try sliding it around at all. Next time I'm there I'll try the corners. Anyone have any thoughts?

Upvote 0
So I went to McDonalds today so I could try out Google Wallet........ I didn't bother to ask the cashier whether the NFC pads were turned on since he genuinely seemed confused by what I was trying to do anyway. This was my first try at Google wallet. Any thoughts?

Honestly last time I went to my local McDonald's they couldn't figure out the McCaf

Upvote 0
No but u need a data connection to connect to Google to make transactions

According to this thread, you don't need an Internet connection to make transactions. The NFC chip contains your credit card info, so it is no different than using your actual card.

Does Google wallet work w/o an internet connection? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

You don't need a data connection as of the last time I used it. I haven't tested since things went to the cloud though.

Upvote 0

To be honest, from what you describe, and from my own experiences in using NFC payments on my N7, it sounds like the Mickey D's you went to didn't have their NFC equipment properly setup. Here's why I think that.

I personally haven't tried using mine at McDonald's, but I have tried at Jack in the Box. Try checking this page: In-store ? Google Wallet and for me, it shows 1 JitB location that accepts Google Wallet. (ZIP 78741)

Now go here: 78741 Jack in the Box - Google Maps. These are the JitB stores near me. All of them have what appears to be the same exact NFC setup on he counters, but only that one store works for me. One store just has it out like a decoration, but there's no response from the N7 or the NFC hardware. Another one has it on but not setup so it tries to process. In fact, you can see it try on the N7 and the NFC hardware lights up, but it just doesn't go through.

Oh, and for the record, I was not connected to the Internet at all when I tried to use NFC. so the link and info regression provided earlier is accurate. I does need to eventually update/reconcile, so an Internet connection is needed for that. Just no for the actual in-store transaction.

TL;DR: NFC's hit or miss right now as far as where it works. Try to stick to the stores Google has listed if you can. No Internet connection required.

Reactions: CrackBaby
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones