• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Engadget confirmed that it has the NFC chip, but ATT chose to disable it.

This is correct as has also been confirmed by XDA

i remember reading some reason why it was disabled, but dont remember what it if. if i remember correctly, however, there were people at xda who were working on getting it working, it is included in the phone though

Yes it is working, I know I am using UnNamed 1.3.6 ROM and it is enabled in this particular ROM. Unfortunately not very useful since there is much of nothing that is NFC enabled in most areas you go to :(

As to why AT&T disabled it. They stripped Google Wallet out of their phones because AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile are partners in an NFC competitor to Google Wallet that is called Isis Welcome to ISIS

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/13/gemalto-chosen-by-isis-to-keep-its-nfc-and-mobile-payment-servic/

Since it is not fully developed yet you can easily see why they would prefer to remove even the option and possibility of competition before they can manage their joint venture off the ground....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones