1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Nfc

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by franners, May 1, 2012.

1. franners

franners Member
    None

Aug 6, 2009
    So a shiny new unbranded One X (Orange SIM) with NFC - how do I get it so I can pay for stuff with NFC? Orange had no answer for me - Quicktap not supported on One X. What software, accounts and config is needed?

Advertisement

2. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Android Expert
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    Grad student
    Martinsburg, WV & Portales, NM
    Right now it is limited to Google Wallet (which I don't think has been modified -by Google- to recognize the One X's hardware yet), and I think Barclays was either working on support either through Google Wallet or maybe their own app for an NFC card they have available. Google wallet allows you to put money on a prepaid credit card, and then make your purchases from that.

In the US the only card officially supported is the special Citi Mastercards that have NFC capabilities.

El Presidente likes this.
  3. franners

franners Member
    None

Aug 6, 2009
    Thanks - Google Wallet app is not showing in the Google Play appstore for me. When I log out on the web it appears but states "this item is not available in your country" when I log in and select One X as device to download to.

4. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Android Expert
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    Grad student
    Martinsburg, WV & Portales, NM
    if you are in the UK I think Paul O'Brien over at MoDaCo has a workaround that tricks the app into working, it might might work wherever you are as well... Honestly, it is really cool, but still has limited capabilities as many merchants have not adopted the nfc terminals yet...

Still, it is pretty awesome to see the clerks flip out when you tap your phone to pay for something- one person thought I had somehow "hacked" into the register, and had to get someone to verify it was legitimate...

Tags: