1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Nice phone but battery life abysmal

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by anticipator, Mar 18, 2011.

1. anticipator

anticipator Member
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    This is a great phone functionally, but my experience has been that the weak battery life overshadows the phones good points. I know its been out only a coupla days and it takes time to break a battery in, but this has become a major obstacle to really enjoying this phone. I have killed gps, many email syncs, haptic feedback, weather syncs, stock quotes checks, lowered the display brightness, killed vibrate for alerts, other things also, but running it from 9 am to about 1 pm with just minimal to moderate use, no videos, just email, a few texts, 5-6 phone calls, about 20 webpages, and this thing is down to 40%. No way would it make it till 5 pm or longer. I feel this is just totally unacceptable and don't want to spend the money, nor want the extra bulk and extra weight that an extended battery would add. Hate to do it, but I think its going back. Reminds me of the Incredible last summer with the battery problems it had. I'll give it another day or two, but don't really think it will improve. Just my 2 cents.

Advertisement

2. Yellow Snowman

Yellow Snowman Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 16, 2011
    be lucky you're getting that much battery out of this phone. i barely use it but for a few calls and texts and thing is dead in half a day. its pathetic and you're right, kills all the positives.

3. HTCThunderbolt

None

Feb 20, 2011
    Need one :(
    Concord NC
    How do you stop email syncs? and stocks

4. Anthony1970

Anthony1970 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 8, 2010
    All android phones have this problem. Its just something you have to get used to.

5. howarmat

howarmat Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Generation Dispatcher
    Noblesville, IN
    give it time! you are draining the battery a ton more now than you will in a week. the phone/battery are still calibrating too

6. RyanM

RyanM Newbie
    None

Oct 21, 2008
    Droids are power hungry. Add 4G to something already power hungry on 3G and this is what you get.

I agree its not good, but that is just how it is.

They should have used a 1900+mAh battery like Motorola Bionic.

7. dm33

dm33 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Not true. You can put a decent battery in a phone. No excuse for this.
    I have an Incredible with the OEM big battery. I get decent life out of it. Its significantly heavier than the stock battery. I wouldn't want to add that much weight and bulk to a Thunderbolt.

kcs7272 likes this.
  8. Two_cents

Two_cents Well-Known Member
    None

May 22, 2010
    its not that bad... the incredible was worse when it was first released with 2.1... its not as good as my incredible was with custom kernels but your going to have to deal with it for a little bit... I got 11 hours out of mine today... my email/fb/exchange syncs are at 2 hours, gps/bt/wifi off, brightness at the middle setting... and when I say dead i ran it til it would backlight the screen when I hit the power button but the screen wouldn't show any image(dead) took 5 minute charge to get enough power to reboot...

9. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    I got 12 hours out of mine before the amber battery icon came on. I'm not sure why some people expect their battery to last so long. Might I suggest slapping an alternate on your phone and an accessory belt to power the alternator?

10. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC

I have to disagree! My Fascinate gets great Battery life, and I got 16 hrs today with my Motorola Atrix. I'm not asking for 16 hrs out of he TB, but 8/10 hrs would work for me. HTC once again let's the Android faithful down.

11. garnto

garnto Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    I had my phone on for 11 hours total today.

8 hours wifi/texting/angry birds
    2 hours just sitting
    1 hour pandora

good enough for me

12. JustinHEMI

JustinHEMI Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Male
    Senior nuclear reactor operator
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree that the battery life isn't ideal, but it certainly does NOT kill the positives, IMO, as one user alluded to.

Battery life is the only negative for me, and it is manageable.

Justin

13. stratusmonkey

stratusmonkey Member
    None

I've had the phone two days now. Thor's day, it came out of the box with 25% battery life. Yesterday, it lasted 11.5 hours of moderate-to-heavy use. Drained completely because I didn't think to turn it off, as opposed to standby, until it was too late.

Moderately heavy use was about 3 hours of screen time for web, e-mail, text and music player, including ten minutes or so of screwing around with voice search. And 2.5 more hours listening to music with the screen off. The screen definitely ate up most of the juice. (Drank it up?)

P.S. No 4g was involved. All action took place in 3g territory or WiFi.

14. rbanks1451

rbanks1451 Newbie
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Po Po
    Va Beach
    Let me first say I do not have 4G in my area yet, so this is all based on 3G. I took my phone off the charger yesterday at approximately 8 AM. It finally gave me the low battery indication at 9:37 PM that 15% remained.

During that time I have GPS location turned on, WiFi on, used golf GPS app while playing (not the full round, between 7-9 holes), have email set to sync every five min, Facebook to sync every hour, 25-35 text messages and 10-15 phone calls, web searched for about 45 min total and a few games of Angry Birds and Homerun Battle 3D.

With my Incredible, I kept GPS and WiFi off unless needed. Everything else was the same and got no where near this type of battery life.

Overall so far this has exceeded what I expected to get with the OEM battery. If I can get this all the time I will be happy and this will make the phone as close to perfect for me as possible. I am sure once 4G is here later this year this will all change, but until then I'm happy. Hopefully they will have better slim battery options by then.

15. Anthony1970

Anthony1970 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 8, 2010

Its what HTC packages the phone with, ergo, it has bad battery life. I dont count that the phone can get good battery life with an after market. Im talking about out of the box. Many people do not want to purchase an aftermarket or feel they should.

16. elchip

elchip Member
    None

Nov 11, 2009
    Battery life was atrocious out of the box... I was sick of making so many compromises just to get the phone to last 12 hours with light use... So i got the 2750 mAh extended battery. Never looked back, been playing heavily all day and am still at 75%.

You get used to the ugly bump. I really recommend it.

17. odnerd

odnerd Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    Guess I've gotten really lucky. Off the charger at 7:30am. A 5 minute phone call, 25ish texts, 20 minutes web, installed a few apps, a tango test call, 7 emails, 4g on the whole time and its 8:17pm and i still have 55% battery.

18. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 1, 2010
    S.C.
    Too bad there isn't some benchmark test to use for battery performance in the phone. All of these threads are pointless.