1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Nice sounding Text to Speech voice hiding in my google navigation app?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by kanethal, Jan 2, 2011.

1. kanethal

kanethal Lurker
    None

Sep 3, 2010
    Yesterday, I plugged in a navigation destination, and was greeted by a really really smooth, silky british female voice that narrated my trip!? Gave distances in meters/km. The next trip I programmed was back to the stock robot crap! Anyone else ever run into this? The only TTS library that showed up in the settings was pico. Really not sure what to make of this, but I want that silky voice back!!!

Advertisement

2. red97xj

red97xj Well-Known Member
    None

May 16, 2010
    you really shouldn't drink and drive! :)

Rambler358 likes this.
  3. WoutersJ

WoutersJ Lurker
    None

Oct 21, 2010
    The nice UK English voice you heard was probably "Victoria" from the SVOX Classic TTS engine. SVOX offers 40 voices in 20 different languages in the Android market. Just search for "svox" or follow this link: Classic Text To Speech Engine - Android app on AppBrain.
    The voices sound much more natural than the default "Pico" voices pre-installed on Android. They can be used together with Google Navigation and many other text-to-speech enabled apps.

4. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Loquendo also has a much more natural sounding TTS engine. Neither are free though (SVOX's engine is free but all voices are pay).

JimSmith94 likes this.
  5. red97xj

red97xj Well-Known Member
    None

May 16, 2010
    Is there any free ones that sound better than stock?

6. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Extreme Android User
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    I use this and really like that voice!

It replaces all text to speech on your phone, not just navigation also so it's great.

7. JimSmith94

JimSmith94 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 5, 2010
    Irving, TX USA
    Thanks, I almost missed that part!:eek:

8. EXWM

EXWM Lurker
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    Sorry to revive a quite old thread, but I think I'm on the same problem and have no clue... The fact is that I have a navigation standard setup (preinstalled in my froyo lg p500). Spanish setup btw. Until now I've always heard a standard synthesized female voice in navigation. But lately some messages IN THE MIDDLE of a trip are rendered using a softer female voice... Yes, in the same trip I hear two clearly different voices. Have no SVOX, no other TTS engine different than PICO. So what is happening and how can I enable the softer voice permanently? is Navigation rendering some of the messages not using PICO?

Any ideas?

Kind regards!

9. babirusa

babirusa Lurker
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    I had the same thing happen today. Just one
    Code (Text):
    line that was in a clear not overmodulated female voice! Maybe they are phasing in a voice upgrade? I hope so, because it was so much better than the original voice!!

10. nomarsgirl

nomarsgirl Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 4, 2010
    Red Sox Nation
    I have noticed the same thing. Also the "nice" voice doesn't read the street names - it just says turn left or turn right.

I had installed SVOX at one point, but never purchased a voice and do not currently have the engine installed. Very strange.

11. Rob Eisenmann

Rob Eisenmann Lurker
    None

May 2, 2011
    Yes, I just took a trip last week from Ohio to GA and used navigation with the Grace SVOX voice. I didnt get Grace, I got the stock voice, and sometimes had a soft voice in the background, exactly as you are describing. My wife and I decided my phone has multiple personalities, since they are two distinctly different voices. We named one Grace (obviously) and the other Jeannie. We were hoping they would not start arguing with each other! If anyone knows a solution, please let me know!!!

12. larrycl

larrycl Member
    None

Nov 16, 2010
    Another "me too". Was using google nav, and in the middle of the trip heard a different voice. Very odd!

13. togethersjg

togethersjg Guest
    None

Within the PICO engine is the option to change voices. On the Samsung Infuse I can move between German - English UK - English US - Italian; that sort of thing. From the home page try Settings - Voice Input Output - Text to speech settings - Language.

14. gonzalingui

gonzalingui Lurker
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    I hear two voices too, I'm using Navigation in Spanish.

I have used it many times that I can say the softer voice is just a pre-recorded voice just like the first Garmin GPS devices.

If you pay attention, all commands (turn-left turn-right) discances (1km, 500m, 200m, 100m) are the same and no street names are heared.

It's a good idea to include those pre-recorded voices in case you don't have any TTS engine installed.

15. larrycl

larrycl Member
    None

Nov 16, 2010
    Just found this:
    if you look on your SD card in the directory [sdcard]\Android\data\com.google.android.apps.maps\testdata\voice,
    you will find lots of sub folders filled with .ogg voice files using the "nice" voice.

I wish I knew how to trigger this more generally!

16. toby1kenobi

toby1kenobi Lurker
    None

Mar 6, 2012
    I'm using the IVONA UK English TTS voice "Amy" and frankly it sounds much better than the voice Google is slipping into Navigation.

Google's voice is quieter, of lower quality and doesn't read the street names. It's coming up more and more regularly and getting really annoying for me. :mad:

Is there any way of turning it off?

17. bosh

bosh Newbie
    None

Nov 30, 2009
    I've been hearing voices lately too. They tell me to do things.
    No one else seems to be able to hear them though. :rolleyes:

18. Lolpoppa

Lolpoppa Lurker
    None

Apr 28, 2012
    Hmmm, no soft and sexy female voice for me...

Out of the blue some bloke gruffly told me to cheer"take the next left." and then buggered off again. Sounded a bit like the guy off the Sygic system if you've tried it.

Google obvs phasing something in...

19. stuartgw

stuartgw Lurker
    None

Jan 7, 2012
    Brisbane Australia
    I have recently experience exactly the same random switching of voices in the middle of directions. It's clearly been going on for a long time.
    Methinks some not-so-subtle marketing involved here to get us to buy different voices.

20. alfredjarry69

alfredjarry69 Newbie
    None

SVOX is a great website. It's value at least looking at for the no cost interval. At iHear System, SVOX has more performs per audience of any website.

21. jennyfur

jennyfur Newbie
    None

Dec 4, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Doubtful. I've noticed over the past few months that every once in awhile I'll get the "nice" voice in the middle of my navigation, and then it goes right back to the robotic voice. But around the update to 4.0.4, ALL of my navigation uses the nice voice now. I think this is just a transition/improvement to future versions of the voice engine. Jelly Bean uses voice for a lot more and it sounds very smooth and conversational... I think we were just stuck in between the old and the new for a bit.