• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No 3G Icon

My nexus one recently doesnt show the 3g icon next to the bars. I don't believe it lost the 3g signal, as I can see 3 bars in there and when I force 2G it goes to 4bars with the 'E' symbol. It just doesnt seem to get 3g data, i believe. I can call and text, but when I try to access the net it says site not found. Could somebody explain why this is? I have T-Mobile in midtown atlanta.

Just some checks you might want to do:

1) Check to see if you have 3G turn off in setting

2) When did you notice this happening? Was there an app you downloaded that might affect your 3G? Like it has permission to enable/disable 3G...

3) Are you able to use the net with your wifi? no=net problem in general; yes=solely 3G.

4) Try your SIM on another phone to see if 3G works. I've read that an older SIM may affect your 2G/3G performance. Does that work? no=SIM issue, yes=phone issue...Also, you can try someone's else SIM on your phone and see if you get 3G signal.

5) If those don't work... You might need to do a factory reset (back up your apps and everything before)

6) If after factory reset, you're still not getting 3G, then you'd need to contact your carrier (issue with network) or HTC (issue with phone)

Hopefully you get this fixed without going through #6

Upvote 0
I had this issue only and the only way to get Data back at all was to use 2G ONLY or Wifi.

Google support reported that their T-Mobile test phones were doing the same thing.

I have not seen any 3G outage reports come from T-Mobile for my area (Seattle).

I updated to Froyo... was a hella long download on Edge... :(

Installed update and still no 3G.

FINALLY, at about 7pm tonight (Pacific Time), I got 3G icon back and all is good.

Hope others are working now too... :)

Upvote 0
This just happened to me today and I am lost.
No 3G/E icon, but I got all the bars. I can make phone calls fine, but can't get online. Switching to 2G won't do anything. I called T-mobile and they transferred me to Google support person who asked me to try the SIM on another android phone and see if that works... basically to narrow down which one is the culprit. Well, I thought I am never going to have all the problems reported by others, but I guess I can't dodge everything. Oh well...

Setting -> status -> Mobile network status
"Disconnected"
I am really puzzled. Reboot/Pulling the battery didn't do anything.

Upvote 0
I think I figured out what it was or at least it fixed the problem.
Somehow APN setting has been changed/disabled?!
Beats the hell out of me how that happened...

How were you table to change the APN (or determine that the setting had been changed/disabled) ?

I just got a N1 for AT&T. Signal wise, everything was ok yesterday. Today, I unlocked the phone and I noticed that I was on EDGE (in the exact same spot where I had a strong 3G signal yesterday). I rebooted the phone and the strong 3G signal was back.

To be honest with you, the flaky 3G issue may be enough to cause me to return the phone, but I'd like to know if there is a way to correct the issue without just rebooting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones