1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

No 3g service

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sims0018, Jul 4, 2011.

1. sims0018

sims0018 Newbie

I lost 3g service completely one night. I was watching a movie and picked up my phone to use it, no 3g. I traveled into the city the next day, which is an hour away. Still no 3g. While I was at the office my friend who also has a Thunderbolt had 3g service, however, I did not. I talked to Verizon and they replaced my phone. That's all great and everything, except the same thing is happening. I don't have 3g service at all. Help?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

You using any programs like juice defender that disables the data network to save battery life?

Have you accidentally disabled mobile data with a widget or something?

Have you tried to turn off your phone and pull the battery and reinstall the battery and turn back on.

If none of those works. try ##778# then edit . password is 000000. then modem settings. then Rev.A and select enable. This disabes the 4g radio and also the same time talk and data. then press menu and click commit modifications. this will reboot your phone and maybe it will work.

sims0018 likes this.
  3. sims0018

sims0018 Newbie

I do have juice defender but I disabled it and uninstalled it as soon as I noticed the problem. I didn't disable the data. However, sometimes under mobile connection it says failed. I tried a battery pull yesterday to no avail. However, I was trying to boot into safe mode in order to trouble shoot. I couldn't boot into safe mode and ended up restarting my phone around five times. Mysteriously my 3g connection returned. I have no idea why.

4. bluenik25

bluenik25 Well-Known Member

I lost my 3g connection for 48 hrs last week. The first day I drove into Atlanta to buy a new car and it picked up a 4G signal with no problems but as soon as I left ATL I lost all connectivity. I took the phone to a VZW store after pulling the battery and a hard rest didn't work. They had no idea what was wrong with it and ordered a replacement for me. That night, just like you my 3g connection magically came back. Now I have a replacement that will be here today and my phone works fine.

5. dnoonan

dnoonan Newbie

Just got off the phone with a Verizon rep...had the same problem...had data drops last week, and at the direction of a Verizon rep, did a "factory reset". Seemed to fix the problem, had good connection until this morning, when I got nada. Battery pull, checked settings with rep, no joy. "Certified Like New" phone coming overnight. Rep says she's sure it has to do with update, and a fix is coming "in the next few weeks", (yeah, right). She told me not to do an update until I got a notification from Verizon. Hope this fixes things...I'm not the most patient person.

6. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

When I lose data connection I put in to airplane mode. Then take it back off and it gives me 3g back. I forgot that I get this problem sometimes. This is how I fix it. It works for me so far. I think maybe they are having the lte to play nice with the 3g. I remember when we had that national outage and no one with the bolts had data. Some people found out if you take it off of lte and put it on the CDMA you would get your 3g back. Maybe the system is still having hiccups for LTE? I am going to put the phone on CDMA and see how it does on the data connection.

I have put the MR2 leaked version on my phone so I can easily switch between the two.

7. dnoonan

dnoonan Newbie

Tried that as well, but no joy. How can I get to the MR2, and do I have to root to install it?

8. Flyguy94

Flyguy94 Well-Known Member

I have no data period! I have a replacement coming. Tech support had me do a hard reset and still no data only wifi. Refub on the way, These problems are really getting old.

9. sisca

sisca Newbie

i havent had data connectivity since yesterday afternoon. just quit working. no 3g, not even 1x...did a batt pull, rebooted, batt and sim card pull...nothing. and im told not even a hard reset will help it. what the hell is going on with my phone? i go to settings>mobile network, it read connection failed. what gives?

i downloaded the update for angry birds seasons yesterday, it was only after that that i lost connectivity. is there an issue with that app update?

10. mdeblaz

mdeblaz Android Enthusiast

Yea, I've been having this issue lately too. If I keep LTE on... then I will no doubt lose my data connection for good until I either do Airplane mode, Switch back to CDMA Auto PRL, or reboot the phone.

I want to switch to Rev. A completely, but then I feel I've overpaid over $100 for this phone as it then becomes just a larger Incredible 2

11. Trayber

Trayber Lurker

Starting a few days ago I am having some weird connection issues going on as well. What the hell is going on with this phone? I can hardly keep a 4g LTE signal anymore. It will come in for a few minutes then its gone and Im in a big 4g coverage area. I wasn't getting any 3g either. Now the 3g is back after doing battery pull, factory reset but 4g is still acting up. Why are so many people having these same type of problems? They are sending a new replacement phone but I dont think that is going to fix the problem entirely. Any body have more input on why all these users are suddenly experiencing these similar network problems?

12. dnoonan

dnoonan Newbie

Got my CLN replacement, and still had the same problem...replaced the SIM card, and things are OK now. I won't do the update again until the new fix is out...tempted to root, but still chicken.

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews