1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support No Adhoc support in ICS! WiFi tether 3.1 beta 6 a safe fix?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by agentjonnyb, Jan 11, 2012.

1. agentjonnyb

agentjonnyb Newbie
    None

Nov 25, 2010
    It seems Google stripped ICS of the ability to connect our ICS devices to our Android phones running a Wifi tether - no Ad-hoc/BSSI support, and as you will see in this massive thread (Issue 82 - android - wifi - support ad hoc networking - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting) They have refused to say anything at all on their support forums. We need to take this to greater levels, there is absolutely no excuse for them not to have left this ability to connect to ad-hoc unfixed! If someone who knows of on of those Petition sites like what we used on ASUS, we need it now for Google. This is a VERY serious issue. We must also take this to their Facebook pages.

UPDATE: Found that wifi tether 3.1-beta6 is working, as long as you set it to infrastructure instead of ad-hoc. Only concern I have is, it turns on Sprint hotspot (or whatever carrier you're using I believe), but is it a hacked version of the hotspot app that doesn't notify the carrier that you are tethering, thus dodging the outrageous fee?

Advertisement

2. tensazan

tensazan Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    Indiana
    There are two phrases I never thought I would ever see in close proximity to each other: "serious issue" and "facebook"

3. agentjonnyb

agentjonnyb Newbie
    None

Nov 25, 2010
    Sure helped with the BL issue, why not this?

4. agentjonnyb

agentjonnyb Newbie
    None

Nov 25, 2010
    Ok, I just did some more reading and found that the TF101 had this issue temporarily, and ASUS fixed it, we need to get right onto them to fix this one, that's who we need to send a petition to.

UPDATE: Found that wifi tether 3.1-beta6 is working, as long as you set it to infrastructure instead of ad-hoc. Only concern I have is, it turns on Sprint hotspot (or whatever carrier you're using I believe), but is it a hacked version of the hotspot app that doesn't notify the carrier that you are tethering, thus dodging the outrageous fee?

5. willowave

willowave Member
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    Computer Tech
    Sioux Falls,SD
    Thats not working for me, and whole bunch of other people. And if I can't tether, I won't be keeping my Prime. I figured they had enough people returning them because of the GPS issue, I wouldn't think they could afford more returns.

6. demandarin

demandarin Lurker
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    very good post OP. now I know the details. As far as the fix goes, I didn't see the option in that wifi tether to change from ad hoc to infrastructure mode. where did you find that at? the only mode select i see only lets you choose "Auto" or "Wext(Ad Hoc)" none of those work. I have that exact version you listed. I also using Motorola Atrix4g phone.

7. GatorsUF

GatorsUF Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 11, 2010
    The WiFi Tether app on my Galaxy Nexus works fine to tether to my TP...as does the built in WiFi Tether in the ROM. The rom version has no choice of ad-hoc or anything else...the wifi tether is set to auto and works great.

Never even look at the settings...except to add my WPA2 key. Anyone think maybe this is a software developer issue and not an ICS/ASUS issue? Meaning many of the apps we used to use on Android 2.1-3.0 may not work until they are updated for ICS. Before we start rolling heads maybe sit back a minute and see what happens.