• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No Adobe Flash 10.1 for Optimus M?

I'd gladly sign any petition you would put together. Clearwater here.
Thanks appreciate the support :D. I don't think a petition is going to be the route I'm going (LG stated to me that they are thouroughly aware of the problem as I am not the only squeky wheel on this, but if anyone knows something I don't let me know, flying in unmapped airspace with this one). At this stage I am waiting for my wife to survive USeless 19 on her drive home. If she does then I will have the reciept (for date of purchase) and will be filing a complaint with consumer affairs (tonight). LG insists they have changed the datasheet on their site (and they did, but google found the old one still active on there site, see above link) and it was a casual misprint. But looking here it seems people first brought this to LG's attention 5 months ago and they still are making the false claims. I will keep this post updated as things change as long as I'm not forced into a confidentiality clause. Since your in FLA I will be more than glad to send/pm/post whatever I can to so support you (or anyone else) in persuing whatever avenue you choose to take.
Port Richey here

Upvote 0
There is absolutely nothing you can do to get anywhere with this. Please do not feed this thread as it is a dead issue. The phone hardware will not support flash and anyone who knows the requirements would not be getting upset over one error a company made. In other words DROP IT.

Your tone is completely uncalled for. These forums are here as a resource and a help. Not to treat people that way. I am reporting your post. Please edit or delete it.

Reactions: nomorefear
Upvote 0
These forums are here as a resource and a help.

+1. People are obviously frustrated, and frustration requires an outlet. Where better to do that than amongst fellow-sufferers? If nothing else you're assured of sympathy. :)

So long as it's kept civil and within the Site Rules it's perfectly acceptable. If you're not interested in a topic, simply skip over it.

Reactions: pmb116
Upvote 0
Seriously. This thread needs to go. There is no way that LG or MetroPCS will do anything about a simple error. Anyone who has looked up the requirements for Flash will see that an ARM7 processor is necessary. That does not mean that flash wont work on ARM6 phones but it really hurts the processor... I used to have the Droid Eris and it was also an ARM6 but somehow XDA got flash on it only to deem it a failure to the over all performance. Companies make mistakes and for very small ones like this they will just steamroll over it. Sorry to pmb116 for sounding harsh but there comes a time when one has to just move on a subject. This thread sounds like a guy who likes a girl who will never like him: desperate. XD

Reactions: pmb116
Upvote 0
For anyone deciding on a metro pcs phone and wondering if the optimus m plays flash/youtube, yes it does. Just got mine today, read this thread on it not working and still got the phone.
I tried to dl reptilia from unspecified sources and a youtube link popped up. I said wth and clicked it. It asked open with metroweb or youtube, I hit youtube and the vid played.
The End.

Flash works on this phone and the optimus I have is 2.2.1 about to root wish me luck.

Btw metroweb crashes like crazy but opera mini fixes that, metro can't code...

Upvote 0
For anyone deciding on a metro pcs phone and wondering if the optimus m plays flash/youtube, yes it does. Just got mine today, read this thread on it not working and still got the phone.
I tried to dl reptilia from unspecified sources and a youtube link popped up. I said wth and clicked it. It asked open with metroweb or youtube, I hit youtube and the vid played.
The End.

Flash works on this phone and the optimus I have is 2.2.1 about to root wish me luck.

Flash has to be downloaded and installed from the market. Try doing that and you will see that it cannot do it. Sorry to burst your bubble, but you are incorrect.

Upvote 0
The End.

MetroPCS got Google to put a special YouTube on here that plays WITHOUT Adobe Flash. Just like all the iPhone/iPad owners can watch YouTube without Flash (since Jobs/Apple won't allow Flash on their devices).

So,the Question was NOT getting YouTube to play. YouTube would not be installed on the phone unless it worked. :rolleyes: The Question is getting Flash to work.

For you to think YouTube = Flash shows you do not know the issues involved here. YouTube codes their site to work with or without Adobe Flash. They are a video playback site, not a "Flash only" site.

It's all the other sites that only use Flash which this phone cannot see or games that require Flash.

Now I can say "The End" and mean it since your End was quite premature. :p

============

Here everybody, PLEASE go read this post on the subject.

http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-all-things-root/335830-flash-optimus-m-oh-em-gee.html

It's time to STOP talking about this. It's dead.

Upvote 0
Mike i am confused with all the help on here why was you banned.

found this:

http://goo.gl/30sD3
MikesTooLz said:
April 30, 2011

I was just banned from android-forums, thought I would let people know why they wont be seeing me posting over there any more.

MikesTooLzbanned.png

Upvote 0
If You Know how to install *.APK files then Heres Flash 10.1 for ARMv6 Android OS 2.1 possibly 2.2 *Note: It installs But i cant figure how it works plz report back if you find out* Link: Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire
I installed it but when I go to a known web page that needs flash I just get the message flash needed to view this page.

Upvote 0
If you are looking to watch flash video, you can try Skyfire 4. It has a Flash Video plugin. It may cost money now, but they were giving it away free. It doesn't play all flash video, but it works sometimes. It does not, however, load sites built in flash.
Many sites including YouTube are adopting HTML5 web standards and allow MP4 Video to be embedded without a needing plugin to render them. While Flash remains a very good technology for app building, it is no longer needed for efficiently embedding rich video. Spread the word to any youtubers you know: If you upload MP4 rather than Flash video, Everyone can watch!

Upvote 0
I just went through all of this. and i agree. We should do something. Atleast sue them? anyone got good lawyers? lol, but lets ALL get all the info we got straightened out.
-Optimus has Armdv6, and flash player 10.1 requires ardmv7. yet lg claims in the data sheet that the optimus comes with the flash fully preloded, unless i am mistaken.
-Rooting the optimus m WILL NOT allow you to download flashplayer 10.1. Since the device has armdv6, and it requires ardmv7, and to upgrade it, your gonna need a LOT of intelligence, and the right tools to take out the cpu (and i believe some other things too) to replace it with the ardmv7. (NOT RECOMMENDED)
-On metropcs.com , they say that the phone is android 2.2, yet its 2.2.1. not sure if its that big of a deal, but thought i should point it out.
-For and android phone to be 2.2 or higher, it requires a minimum of 3g as the network speed, yet metro only has 2g and 4g. Atleast as far as i have researched.
-Metro has loaded the optimus m with so many apps, and all they do is take up both battery and precious memory. (one or two are worth keeping think free office, and metro pcs easy wifi(any more?))
-Last but certainly not least, the phone is quite slow, atleast, when i rooted mine, its speed went up, not by something to be totally happy with, but atleast it good enough not to complain (must root phone)
*Please do note that rooting is totally legal. I mean, its your phone right? you paid for it, so you should atleast be able to have full control of all it has*
Feel free to correct me in anything.

Upvote 0
I just went through all of this. and i agree. We should do something. Atleast sue them? anyone got good lawyers? lol, but lets ALL get all the info we got straightened out.
-Optimus has Armdv6, and flash player 10.1 requires ardmv7. yet lg claims in the data sheet that the optimus comes with the flash fully preloded, unless i am mistaken.
-Rooting the optimus m WILL NOT allow you to download flashplayer 10.1. Since the device has armdv6, and it requires ardmv7, and to upgrade it, your gonna need a LOT of intelligence, and the right tools to take out the cpu (and i believe some other things too) to replace it with the ardmv7. (NOT RECOMMENDED)
-On metropcs.com , they say that the phone is android 2.2, yet its 2.2.1. not sure if its that big of a deal, but thought i should point it out.
-For and android phone to be 2.2 or higher, it requires a minimum of 3g as the network speed, yet metro only has 2g and 4g. Atleast as far as i have researched.
-Metro has loaded the optimus m with so many apps, and all they do is take up both battery and precious memory. (one or two are worth keeping think free office, and metro pcs easy wifi(any more?))
-Last but certainly not least, the phone is quite slow, atleast, when i rooted mine, its speed went up, not by something to be totally happy with, but atleast it good enough not to complain (must root phone)
*Please do note that rooting is totally legal. I mean, its your phone right? you paid for it, so you should atleast be able to have full control of all it has*
Feel free to correct me in anything.

This is in reply to you, but my reply will hopefully also serve the rest of anyone else reading this thread.

What data sheet are you referring to? This one? http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/LG-MS690.jsp (Click the SPECIFICATIONS tab to see.) There are no mentions of Flash. Sure seems like they corrected it to me. EDIT: I found the PDF earlier in the thread. Oh well. Doesn't change anything. Note how I had to find a copy of the document here on Android Forums, and it's not readily found through LG's website. That seems like a pretty effective way at avoiding the further spread of disinformation to me.

You want to sue? It has been well-established that MANY phones are not Flash capable because of the requirement of an ARMv7 processor. This fact still remains true for phones with an ARMv6 processor. Even Snapdragon processors were still out of the loop until recently: http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=8243

To sue over this is like suing because your car is dark blue when you initially thought it was black before buying it.

Rooted or not, you can always download anything you please, but that doesn't mean you can install it. Sometimes you can even install it, but that doesn't mean it'll work. So if you want to say that rooting the Optimus M will not enable it to use Adobe Flash, then that's correct.

It is not feasible at all to replace a phone's processor just to run a what most use as merely a browser add-on. Nobody on the end-user side of things would consider this within reason. Even if someone knew how, you've got the rest of the circuitry that's designed to work with the native ARMv6. Even if you get past that, you can't just go out and buy a cell phone processor. Then you have to consider that most of the ROMs for this phone, especially stock, are going to be written to accommodate the original processor. Even if you could do this, the money and time put into such a project would far outweigh just buying a better phone. This is not even worth consideration considering the end goal.

MetroPCS, LG, and the rest of the whole world outside of the rooting community says it's 2.2. Same thing applies beyond LG and Metro to any other phone shipping with Froyo. Android 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 are both still sub versions of 2.2. All three are still the Froyo edition of Android. The differences between them are very subtle. This is a moot point.

You say, "For and android phone to be 2.2 or higher, it requires a minimum of 3g as the network speed, yet metro only has 2g and 4g. Atleast as far as i have researched." I've never heard of anything requiring a handset to use a 3G data network for it to be able to run Android, be it 2.2 or whatever other version. You don't even have to have your data network turned on to run Android. I can go into settings right now on my phone and turn off the radio, and still use the rest of my phone's capability, skipping out on calls and 1x. You could buy a phone without service, and just use the WiFi, GPS, and Bluetooth if you wanted. Metro offers 1xRTT, AKA 2G or Edge, and they now have a few 4G LTE phones, that's correct.

Most of Metro's bloatware is worthless IMHO, but may be useful to others. There are some reasonable apps they include, and then there's the true bloat. Maybe there's someone out there who wants to pay ~$8/month for Boingo Wi-Fi hotspots. I sure don't. Maybe there's someone out there who when they tap on "Free Games!" in their app drawer, they are happy to instead see games that are *not* free, but I doubt it. Think Free office is useful to some, Easy WiFi is just plain annoying IMHO, but some like the hotspots map it provides.

If you are tying in your statement of, "We should do something," with, "...the phone is quite slow...," then you're wasting your time. You can't legitimately sue someone for making a mid-range product. If you're just making an observation though, so be it.

Rooting is most certainly legal. It also voids your warranty in every way if your carrier or manufacturer finds out. What that means is that in reality, Metro and/or LG won't care if you root your phone per se, they just won't help you out anymore if they find out you've done it, because you've now taken the phone outside the scope of what they intended.

So overall, there's nothing to really sue over, and there's nothing else here really earthshattering, so what's your point? Even if you sued, what are you suing for? If you're just going to extort money from LG because of the initial mixup on Flash capability, then that's a pretty frivolous lawsuit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones