• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Android 4 for Galaxy Players

I was just looking at the list of Samsung devices that will be upgraded to Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich). The Galaxy Players are not listed as a device that will be upgraded. I recently bought my Galaxy Player 5.0 and I'm happy with it on Android 2.3.5. Although I'm really not sure what I'm missing in Android 4. I'm curious what others think about being left out of the Android 4 upgrade. Are you happy with your current version of Android? Will you upgrade your device on your own?

Here's the upgrade list:
SAMSUNG

That list is only devices announced so far. That said, I fully expect we won't be upgraded just because these devices have a much smaller niche market than most phones. I'm fine with Gingerbread. About the only thing I would like out of ICS if higher screen resolution and I'm not sure we have the hardware to take advantage of it.

If a reliable ROM becomes available like CyanogenMod 9, I would certainly consider it, but only if it is stable. I'm not holding my breath there although there are folks working on it.

More than likely I will happily carry on with Gingerbread until a newer device with better specs and newer OS version appears at a time I am ready to upgrade. I can't honestly think of any important functionality I am missing now. I used my TX 3 years without an "OS Upgrade." ;)

Upvote 0
not at all surprising, it's not considered a high end device. It's not even marketed as a tablet, but an mp3 player.
By the way your lucky, in the UK we only get android 2.2, and there are no plans to get android 2.3. Even though other markets already have it and the new galaxy s 3.6 has it as standard! gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

marcel

Upvote 0
not at all surprising, it's not considered a high end device. It's not even marketed as a tablet, but an mp3 player.
By the way your lucky, in the UK we only get android 2.2, and there are no plans to get android 2.3. Even though other markets already have it and the new galaxy s 3.6 has it as standard! gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

marcel

You don't have to be stuck with 2.2

Upvote 0
I really done think you're missing anything by not getting ICS.

I'm writing this as someone who is currently suffering from the recent "upgrade" to ICS on an Acer Iconia.

Yes, you read that correctly. The stock Android browser is slow as molasses, worse than before and locks up frequently. Its certainly not because the hardware portion of my device doesn't have enough power or Ram (a full gig)

It never was that great on Honeycomb and now its worse.

Trying to watch a YouTube video is torture if it isn't the first one or two. What I mean by that is, if you're researching something and. want to watch multiple vids one after another, the 2nd or 3rd one starts buffering every few seconds. I'mnor exaggerating at all. I timed it. It plays for two seconds and buffets for six to ten. Then 2 more seconds followed by twice as much buffer time. Can you imagine trying to follow someones train of thought when they cant even get through one sentence?

Why not buffer for several mins. and then playing. But pausing it. to try to force this does no good. If its on pause it doesn't buffer.

The ONLY decent improvement which I fond handy is the ability to drag and drop several apps together into a folder which you name. I really eliminates all the app icon clutter all over the screens.

But thats little consolation when the daily functioning of web browsing and video viewing are so crippled its a miserable experience.

And done even get me started on the. wonky keyboard and its uncontrollable cursor which actively resists precise placement for trying to correct typos (I'm not normally this careless a writer, but trying to make corrections is absolute agony and total frustration)

Thats why I'm here now because I'm seriously considering selling my Acer and getting a G5 instead.

The fact that it wont be upgrading to either ICS or Honeycomb is a plus for me. I'm thoroughly fed up with Google and Android both.

Upvote 0
to be honest, I'm happy with froyo. Even if it did get upgraded, I'd give it at least a month to iron out bugs before upgrading.

I'm not one of these people that is an early adopter of tech, then spends ages moaning about it (and paying far too much!). I only buy it if it fullfills my needs.
I still use a 28inch CRT Sony TV
13 year old film SLR
4 year old Digital SLR and compact camera
13 year old BMW car

Basically I'm a tight arse (and proud!) lol

Archos had 2 chances with their products and blew it due to reliability, won't touch one now.

marcel

Upvote 0
Seems funny to me that everyone suffers from Android marketing pushes.. "got to have this and that.. yes.. MAYBE it will be better.. yet probably not... upgrades are usually limited in apps right off the bat because these apps have not been fully developed for the latest upgrade OS... but who am I? have PhD in Instructional Design & Technology... come on guys/ladies... how about use what you got and push the OS to the limit.. really see what you have and how far it will go....my SGP has 2.35 and it now cranks out some great stuff... and I don't have 75 apps running all the time.. if you don't use for a month or so... delete it... At the time SGP was released.. the tech was great... and it still is great.. just learn to use what you've got... to the fullest. Ted

Upvote 0
I keep reading comments from people who have encountered problems after upgrading (mostly on phones of course) so for that reason alone I'm happy to take what I'm given, which will be 2.2 of course :rolleyes:

I've yet to see anyone actually explain the improvements/changes between the various versions. In most cases it's just better... As a new comer to Android, I don't think it will bother me in the slightest to be stuck in the old days of 2.2 :D

Upvote 0
Well said, drted. I agree 100%. I'm still very happy with my SGP5. I'm disappointed that we won't get ICS only because it indicates that we are pretty low on the totem pole of valued devices. Aside from that, I really don't feel the need for ICS.

I sure wish Samsung would develop a new SGP5 with updated hardware. I'd definitely buy one. But again, the current model meets my needs, and then some, for now.

Upvote 0
I keep reading comments from people who have encountered problems after upgrading (mostly on phones of course) so for that reason alone I'm happy to take what I'm given, which will be 2.2 of course :rolleyes:

I've yet to see anyone actually explain the improvements/changes between the various versions. In most cases it's just better... As a new comer to Android, I don't think it will bother me in the slightest to be stuck in the old days of 2.2 :D

As far as I have read, the main benefit of each OS update is better processor and RAM efficiency which leads to improved battery life (2.1 was a battery hog). I think 2.3 also allows tethering a wifi device to a mobile phone's 3G connection (which is a biggie for a lot of people)

PS, I agree about not needing the latest greatest OS, buy a device for what it can do now, not in 2 years. But it is annoying that the UK gets 2.2 when the USA gets 2.3

marcel

Upvote 0
I called Samsung about a week ago while I was researching the SGP 5.0 and ask them if the player was getting an update to GB, HC or ICS. I was told that they were working on an ICS update but could not comment on a release date. It will be nice if they do, I running ICS in my rooted Thrive right now with out a problem, but if they don't I hope they will consider at least HC. HC was running great before ICS came around, JMTC

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones