• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Android device found Please connect your Android device with a USB cable to get started.

dickthedev

Jul 10, 2012
Hi I just got an andriod from a friend. Yesterday I downloaded AndroidFileTransfer, it worked just fine, I could load all my pictures to my Mac. Even this morning it eas working fine. but in the afternoon it keeps giving this error. I tried a few other known good usb cables, I still get the same error I am not aware of any changes in the system setting, what happened? Thanks.
Mac OSX and LG H345

Yes, look at your notifications after you connect to the computer.

You may be able to set a default USB connection mode in the developer options (which are hidden - you have to find the build number in the software information and tap on it repeatedly to enable the menu). If your phone has it then you could try setting it to default to mtp (or file transfer some phones label it as).

Upvote 0
I went to the notifications bar, the mtp radio button is checked, but I still get the same error message. :( I just though of one thing, I also installed Andriod Studio on the Mac, from the Mac I can load my developing app to the device, therefore I enabled USB Debugging. Could it be somehow the developer options interfere with it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. When you remember how you get it to work, could you please post it?
I don't know why the andriod is so confusing in its ecosystem, yesterday I install Andriod Studio, it worked just fine, I could install my dev app no problem. This morning I tried to install another dev app from studio, everything goes south :(
Now I remember why I never use Andriod and stick with iOS for so long.

Upvote 0
The problem with AFT is that Google decided to use MTP, which is a Microsoft thing and not supported by MacOS. They wrote AFT when they first did this, but it's not been maintained or updated since. I'm afraid that Google's original belief that everyone will always use cloud services (particularly theirs) tends to blind them to the reality that different people have different requirements (though to be fair Apple also have blind spots of their own).

Upvote 0
Ah, you have the LG Leon..I had the same issues.

I got lucky. I happened to buy my mom a phone and it had a brand new USB cable one day. After trying about 6 of my own cables and none worked, I opened the new phone and tried the new USB cable and it worked automatically. Everything worked smoothly and I ended up rooting the phone. This was back in 2015 or so. (The orignal cable w/the Leon didn't work. It was about 3 months old when I was messing around with it, trying to root it)

Good luck. I don't know if a brand new USB will solve your issues but I understand what you are facing w/that phone.

Reactions: ThePhizzle
Upvote 0
All I can dredge from my memory was that last time I used AFT it got so frustrating that I tried one of those other apps all the "helpful" sites recommended, it didn't work either, but in the process of debugging it I got AFT going. Unfortunately I can't find any record of what I did (I probably made the stupid assumtion that I'd actually fixed the thing...).

Of course since I have ADB installed on my Macbook and am not afraid of command line interfaces I can always use adb commands to copy stuff one way or the other. It's just a pain that AFT is yet another product that Google abandoned after release (and hence at some point will probably stop working for anyone).

Reactions: ThePhizzle
Upvote 0
Now a new issue arose. When I tried to upload a dev app from Android Studio, it keeps telling me "No USB devices or running emulators detected" Did I forget to install something? The thing I don't understand is my set up is totally unchanged, same usb cable etc. Arrrgh! Why was I able to load the app last night and not this morning? May be the boogey man got it at night. :( Good thing I am not doing Android App for a living. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Weird that out of 7 USB cables, there is only one that I can connect to the Mac to recognize my Andriod. When I connect it to Andriod Studio, adb devices recognize its existence, I can upload my own test app.
But when I use the same cable with AndroidFileTransfer, AndroidFileTransfer still give me "No Android device found." The LG Leon has MTP set, I also tried PIP, neither works.:(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones