• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Android Wear for LTE version :(

Wait, I must have missed it. These watches have LTE??!??!?!!!!

I guess I have to do some more reading. I was thinking that my phone would be the data conduit via blutooth. I'm not sure I'm game for paying another monthly fee.:(
Only the high-end variant of the watch has LTE, and will run a "custom" OS (less Android Wear, probably more ported AOSP - though I haven't seen any details on that OS).

The "base" version of the Urbane sports only the usual Bluetooth connectivity and will only have data access via your phone (and existing monthly fee ;) ).

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Although the non-LTE version will be Android Wear, LG is reviving their webOS for the LTE variant of the Urbane. It's still Linux-based, but without the large app availability (probably). AT&T will be the first to offer it in the U.S. ("end of April"), which is good for me, since I'm already on their family plan… with a subsidy from my employer. I'd like to have this replace carrying my phone during the work week, but for that I need Google Voice / Hangouts support, which is a big unknown at this point. It's also going to depend on plan pricing details, but there's none to be found on AT&T's website - just this, for the non-LTE version.

I'm officially in "wait & see" mode. :nailbitingdroid:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones