• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root No apps to backup in Titanium Backup??

Sounds like you're getting a good feel for flashing roms.

"And i have nc 1.2 with ota updates blocked"... I'm impressed. :D

Sticky section at the top has a guide on how to install CM7 on a sdcard... BUT:

• Any rom on a sdcard is more fragile. Lots of reports of failed sdcards. You don't heard of internal storage failing.
  • Roms on sdcard are slower than rom on emmc. You'll want a SanDisk class 2 or class 4 sdcard. You do NOT want a class 10 sdcard for this. They are optimized for camera so writing of large files sequentially, not reading small files randomly like Android does.
  • Much harder to upgrade. You need to upgrade on the computer, then reinstall on your Nook. The guides on this forum don't keep the sdcard installs in mind.

There's a way to dual boot where the rom on the emmc is swapped with the one on the sdcard so the active rom is on emmc, but I'll let someone else comment on that. I don't use (or have a need) for a reader so haven't used stock but for a few minutes and no longer have a NC.

We probably need more guides written for sdcard.

Upvote 0
Hmmmm..makes me wanna try to take my smooth running manual nooted nc 1.2 and boot cm7 from a sd card and then see if my manual nooted set up is effected. I know, now im just getting greedy! My daughter loves to read so unlike your needs i DO need an e reader still. This combo would be heaven if it runs. Im ok with a little slowness from the sd card.

Upvote 0
You CAN still use CM7 as a reader, it's just if you use B&N read-to-me books or certain other features not found in the Market version, you'll be missing out.

It depends on your primary use for this thing.

Stock rom (not rooted)

• primarily use is the B&N reader
  • B&N market isn't compatible with CM7 should you purchase any apps. Apps might be higher priced and limited to the few that B&N approves
  • can't do anything that requires root like backup via Titanium or backup rom from recovery or install a custom rom
  • updated about once or twice a year

Stock rom (1.2 or 1.3) rooted

• primarily use is the B&N reader, but can install other readers from Market
  • stuck with clucky back button app (Button Savior or Softkeys)
  • you can install anything from Market (compatible with Market as CM7)
  • has rooted features so can backup apps (Titanium) or rom in recovery. Can backup rom in recovery, install CM7 and return to backup
  • updated about once or twice a year

CM7

• primary use is tablet
  • much nicer tablet interface and buttons (back, menu, etc)
  • you can view books with any reader
  • B&N reader is missing a few features like read-to-me books and maybe another features (book markers maybe, I don't read books)
  • is still under active development with nightly updates and updated kernel. Better battery life when sleeping

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones