1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support "No command" issue....

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Malek324, May 8, 2016.

1. Malek324

Malek324 Lurker
    None

May 8, 2016
    Hey guys, My moto g 2nd gen was updating an app and then randomly froze, so I shut it down and when I try to recover, it gives me the No command screen with the dead android bot. I hear that the solution to this is to wipe everything back to factory settings and then reboot the phone. However, I have a lot of important photos and videos in the internal storage of my phone that I dont want to lose. I don't give a damn about the apps or songs, I just really want to keep my photos and vids....Is there anyway I can solve this issue without losing everything?

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    If you are in recovery (what the dead Android screen is called) and cannot boot into Android there is no way of getting data off it. If you had a custom recovery (as used by rooters) then you could use adb, but stock recovery doesn't support that.

Have you tried booting in safe mode? I don't know how for that phone, but it will involve pressing something during boot. There's a remote chance that will work, in which case you can back up the data.

If it has a removable battery try pulling that out for a few minutes.

If your recovery will let you wipe just the cache partition you can try that, but make sure it isn't going to wipe data too. I don't know whether a phone with a locked bootloader will let you use fastboot to erase cache only, but that might be worth a try (see this thread for more info: http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/). The command is "fastboot erase cache". If it doesn't work do not try to unlock the bootloader as that will reset the device.

If none of that works I'm out of ideas.