• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No computer will read my Galaxy S2 but still charges when plugged in USB.

stefanl82

Lurker
Dec 31, 2011
My computer won't read my phone anymore, I have tried 3 computers.
I transferred all my files wirelessly via AllShare but don't think resetting factory will solve this problem. I used to be able to transfer files no problem.

I plug in my phone with the USB to the computer and it chargers, and the Kies thing pops up, yet Kies on my computer wont work with the phone via usb. Even with WiFi it only works for a minute then says it doesnt read it, yet the whole time the battery can still charge.
I have also tried USB debuging and that doesn't work either.
Anyone have a solution. Thanks,

You'll need software drivers so that the computer will know what device was just plugged into it. By *DEFAULT* Windows 7/Vista and XP does NOT understand what a Samsung Galaxy S2 is. You'll need to get the driver from Samsung and the BEST way to do so (IMHO) is to download KIES. KIES is like Apple iTunes but for our beloved Samsung Galaxy S2. The software was NOT included on CD-ROM when phone was purchased, instead you'll have to go online to find/download and install it...

Here is the URL for Samsung KIES:

Kies

Enjoy!

My computer won't read my phone anymore, I have tried 3 computers.
I transferred all my files wirelessly via AllShare but don't think resetting factory will solve this problem. I used to be able to transfer files no problem.

I plug in my phone with the USB to the computer and it chargers, and the Kies thing pops up, yet Kies on my computer wont work with the phone via usb. Even with WiFi it only works for a minute then says it doesnt read it, yet the whole time the battery can still charge.
I have also tried USB debuging and that doesn't work either.
Anyone have a solution. Thanks,

Upvote 0
I found the drivers under the download section for the phone itself on the samsung page. I for the life of me can't make Kies work on my primary desktop... though Kies light and USB storage work fine. It does work on my laptop... that said, after the upgrade to the OS, I couldn't get it to connect, it just churned like on my desktop... until the next day. I don't know if it was the reboot or what, but then it connected fine.

Upvote 0
It took me forever to figure out that the POS charger that AT&T sells will only work as a charger. The one that comes with your phone is fully functional.

Can't think of any other reason it won't work other than the fact that it physically doesn't have the copper in the cable (or the right connector hookup) - saving AT&T $.002 per cable.

Reactions: Kevin Todd
Upvote 0
It took me forever to figure out that the POS charger that AT&T sells will only work as a charger. The one that comes with your phone is fully functional.

Can't think of any other reason it won't work other than the fact that it physically doesn't have the copper in the cable (or the right connector hookup) - saving AT&T $.002 per cable.

BINGO.

This was my problem too!!!
An hour and a half of downloading and searching. Damn cable.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones