• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Contacts from previous phone (Exchange)

WorldBuilder

Dec 15, 2009
Hi all,

Got a Pixel 2 L for work. My old phone was a Droid Turbo. On that old phone, I had the built-in "Mail" app connected to Exchange. Had a zillion contacts in there, and they all were synced (I guess) with the phone. For example, if I had a "corporate" contact on the old phone that contained a cell number, I could text that person from the SMS app. Basically, all contacts, no matter where they came from, were all available in any app on the old phone.

On XL 2, not so much...

I got all my contacts that were from the attached Google account, as well as the ones that were on the old phone itself, but do NOT have the contacts from the old mail/corporate app. Now on the XL2, since there is no more "mail" app, I am using the Outlook app. Works great. AND the old contacts from the old phone ARE in there, but ONLY in the Outlook app's contact list.

So what I mean is that, for example, there is a contact in the Outlook app with a cell number, and I can see it there, but I can't text it because that very contact is not in the SMS app as well. HUH?

Basically, I guess, the Outlook mail app contacts aren't synced with the rest of the device. I really need it to all be there. Help?! Thanks!

Yeah, Microsoft used to have an Outlook.com app, which made synced data accessible to other apps. Then they discontinued that app and replaced it with Outlook, which is less good at sharing.

That said, I've done a little experimenting and am a bit surprised you can't send SMS. Perhaps the problem is Google's "messages" app: I just added a contact to Outlook (which I really only use for a low-use Outlook email account and for backup calendar sync, and which I'd never added contacts to), synched contacts for that account, and I could send using Chomp SMS (my preferred SMS app) and it appeared in my phone contacts just fine.

If not, my best guess (because I don't actually use Exchange at all) is to use a different app to get the Exchange contacts synced. A lot of people recommend Nine for Exchange, and a quick web search suggested that can sync contacts too, so might be worth a test.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
OK, nevermind! NINE = No go after all. It isn't free! Suddenly, I started getting messages that it was about to expire, then it did... So I uninstalled it, and as soon as I did, sure enough, the contacts that it had "synced" vanished again. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR! It's 2018, this is BS. I have tried K-9. Won't work with Exchange 2010. I've tried BlueMail, no contacts. Outlook App.

I'm currently back on the Outlook app because at least mail is working. And when I go to the contacts IN the Outlook app itself, they're there. Yet they are still not anywhere else. HELP! I need a solution. This is crazy. Sorry, thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones