1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General No contract upgrade anytime soon..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BossRoss, May 30, 2011.

1. BossRoss

BossRoss Lurker
    None

May 30, 2011
    Is there any way to get the xperia play somewhat cheap without a contract? cause my contract doesnot end for quite some time. my current phone is acting up and the screen flips upside down and messes up. maybe i could possibly get a replacement phone for a contract price due to this? im on verizon too for anyone wondering. been really wanting this dang phone but am not willing to pay 500 dollars for it.
    thanks for the help guys.

Advertisement

2. 007shark

007shark Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    Male
    Electronics Tech
    FL
    Verizon will only offer the same phone (refurbished) as a replacement for your current phone. Verizon offered me an early upgrade option after 1 year on my contract when the HTC Thunderbolt came out. I don't know if I was an isolated case because of a corporate discount or if others will get the same offers. I used my upgrade for the Xperia Play.
    If you are stuck for awhile without an upgrade option, the cheapest route is to add a line which will bring your monthlies up. The add a line option will cost you "x" amount per month plus another $30/month for unlimited data. I would only do that if I was thinking of adding a line in the first place because after a few months you could have bought the Play at retail.
    I would call Verizon and see if they could work something out with you. I would give them all the issues you have been having with your current phone. If you are at least a year in your contract, they may be able to offer an early upgrade option. The worst they can say is no and you just have to wait to find a used one or wait for your upgrade time.

3. zeale

zeale Newbie
    None

Mar 6, 2011
    Verizon independent sales agent
    Columbia, MO
    Make friends with someone at a corporate store and they can force a 2-year upgrade through. That's how I got mine. I was only 7 months into my contract and they sold me the Xperia play on a 2-year agreement for $199. I don't know how big of a deal that was for them to do that, but my contact there was able to make it happen. If you can get the right person this is definitely possible, but it might be rare and/or frowned upon to do by their managers. Good luck!

4. BossRoss

BossRoss Lurker
    None

May 30, 2011
    man thanks guys! i'll try these out. I'm not too sure what to say when i call them. i dont want to seem like a loser by asking them hey can i get a new phone at contract price? How should I suggest it without seeming too blunt?