• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help No Corporate VPN via HTC VIVID and AT&T

Atlantis99

Lurker
Jan 13, 2012
I have a HTC VIVID with the AT&T $60 per month Enterprise Data Plan that includes HotSpot and "Corporate" access.

Sitting on my home wireless network (or any other wireless network), I can fire up my Cisco VPN client (ver 5.0.07.0290) and connect to my corporate VPN and pass traffic.

When I use my HTC (either tethered or HotSpot), I can get to the VPN login, enter my credentials, get the "successfully connected" symbol, but can not pass any traffic nor get to any corporate resources (file, print, email). When i look at the VPN statistics, it shows many bytes sent, but none received.

My many (many) calls to AT&T all end with "if you can tether (or hotspot) and get to the AT&T test web-site, then we have done all that we can do and you need to contact your corporate IT". My logic of "it works every where else, just not across the AT&T network when using my Android based HTC phone" escapes them and they fall back on "call your IT or call Cisco - problem is on their end"

I am a former BlackBerry Bold 9000 user --- when I had that device and the $60 Enterprise plan that went with it, I could tether and connect. Nothing has changed on my computer or with the corporate VPN system.

Does anyone have a similar setup? If so, is yours working? If so, please advise what you did to get it running. If not, please advise what have you done so far to troubleshoot and resolve.

In the VPN Client, we changed the transport from "IPSec over UDP" to "IPSEC over TCP" and it now connects and passes traffic.

... So, technically, I owe a shout-out to AT&T for blaming this on their network configuration. And so ... AT&T ... you were right and I was wrong.

And I should be able to leave it at that ... but I just can't, but I would definitely give them 1/2 credit if they could have told me (say 5 troubleshooting hours ago) why my client setup works over their 3G network and every other wireless network that I have tried it on (10+), but not their 4G ... and the other 1/2 credit if they would have said "Try changing to TCP ... we are blocking UDP on the 4G" ....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones