• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root No data after DL

Galvig

Lurker
Nov 5, 2014
First time post. Been observing the forums and site for a long while though. But this has became an issue for me to where I just could not figure out a solution.

First, I got my LG Volt a few days ago. As soon as I popped it out, v4. Also realized of the SD card writing issue. Downgraded to v3 with a guide on here, and flashed a stock v3 and continued to ignore the update (LS740ZV3_17_to_ZV4_08_inc) - which is downloaded but not installed. Towelroot'd and Made It Ra1n. Root checker said I was good to go. Attempted to move some files around with Astro/FolderMount. It moved, however when launching the app, it would need to re-download the files on the phone storage all over again.

I power cycled the phone for a few minutes, and tried it again to no avail. However, I also noticed I was unable to use data (calls and sms still works, no mms)

I activated this phone on the first day since. Everything worked. Question is.. Can I fix this mess or Did I just royally screw up my phone?

EDIT: Got my data back. Just had to push activation again through pound commands. Sometimes when doing the smart stuff, I forget to do the stupidly simple stuff. However, I'm still having the SD issue. The apps will say they're on the SD (after pushing Move to SD, it'll become Move to Phone after a few moments) but the free space on the SD stays the same and phone memory still gets packed. What should I do?

Did you run the sdfix? KitKat has the sd security on overdrive (which is being changed back in Lollipop apparently). You need to download a patcher from the store. I used JRummy's.

As for stock app moving, even after patching, it handles moving to the SD differently. It's not as effective as it was, much less data gets moved.

BTW, you can go back to v4 using the rooted rom on here.

Upvote 0
Alright. Now when I attempt to move a game with Link2SD, it gives me an error.
2a8g70j.png

Upvote 0
Well, it's not so much an error as it's saying you have to link it in order to move it. To do this, you will have to create a second partition on your SD card and make it ext2, ext3, or ext4 if you want to move private data too, otherwise FAT is fine. Then long press on the app you want you move and choose create link from the menu. You may still have to move it after linking it, I don't know. This is just what I've figured out in the past few minutes and I am not somewhere I can go playing with my SD card right now.

EDIT: Actually, there are buttons at the bottom of the app info window to create or remove links. They are disabled because you don't have a second partition.

No idea how big the partition needs to be... Maybe make it 1/3 of the card (about 10GB)?

Upvote 0
Okay, I created a partition on my SD card for about 19GBs and Made it a ext4. Link2SD seemed to work at first with it, saying it mounted successfully and rebooted the device. I went to an app (movable Star Wars game) and created a link. Link2SD said it was successful, but I had a notification saying there was an error but disappeared before I can read it completely. I attempted to move the app to SD after that and the same error as the image in my previous post appeared again, despite there being a 2nd partition.

All in all, kitkat has me frustrated :-/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones