• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root No data after root, even with Wifi connection?

UnplugMe

Sep 21, 2011
Northeast U.S.
I've looked around at similar topics and cleared caches where it was available.

Any ideas why rooting and applying low-on-space would disable my internet connection? It worked until the low-on-space fix.

I can't get into Google play or even to google.com, though I am connected to Wifi, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with my account.

edit: Oy, the FM radio doesn't work either. It scans for stations but no sound, either through headphones or the speaker (speaker works otherwise). I wonder if the previous owner (ebay) fiddled with the radio. He'd run a beta version of Jellybean on this phone, then changed it back to Gingerbread before sending it out.

I've read about custom ROMS screwing up the radio but I'm a novice (who just wanted to buy a fixed phone).

Any ideas to try would be greatly welcomed. I've re-familiarized myself with flashing ROMS so I'll try and do as much as I can on my own.

Thanks.

the rom itself cannot injure the radio. its likely that you have a bad flash,possibly a corrupt download,or possibly a rom missing some funtionality(speaking very generally,not knowing what youve done)

if youre running a custom rom,i would prolly verify its md5,if the dev provided it. if not,ask in the thread if anyone whose successfully flashed it could check it,and post the info. redownload if there are any discrepencies.

after that,boot to recovery and do a "full wipe" wich conists of:
-data/factory reset
-cache
-dalvik cache

then reflash the rom.

hopefully that will get you up and running. :)

its also possible that vzw is having data outages in your area,might check into that. not real likely,but stranger things have happened ;)

Upvote 0
Thank you, I'm sorry to ask for so much help!
A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, meaning I don't really know what I'm doing.

Somehow, in following the instructions to regain root, I went back to Froyo, then flashed the low-on-space fix. Could that be the cause?

I'm getting update notifications from Verizon and keep saying install later, but since the phone has S-off I thought that wasn't supposed to happen.

I'll re-read some threads and try upgrading to gingerbread, then re-flashing low on space, does that sound safe?
Thanks!

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Thank you, I'm sorry to ask for so much help!
A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, meaning I don't really know what I'm doing.

Somehow, in following the instructions to regain root, I went back to Froyo, then flashed the low-on-space fix. Could that be the cause?

I'm getting update notifications from Verizon and keep saying install later, but since the phone has S-off I thought that wasn't supposed to happen.

I'll re-read some threads and try upgrading to gingerbread, then re-flashing low on space, does that sound safe?
Thanks!
S-off just guarantees you won't lose the *ability* to root. Otherwise it doesn't necessarily change the function of the phone... You will want to update your rom... The "finishing up" section Scotty's htcdev unlocking guide has the instructions to get you to the most current stock radio/rom.
http://androidforums.com/incredible...ow-unlock-downgrade-achieve-s-off-htcdev.html <<<step 8

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones