1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

No data plan with Captivate

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by delta45, Jul 22, 2010.

1. delta45

delta45 Member

Jul 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Hello Android/Captivate gurus!

New to the forum here, and new to smartphones! I was initially looking to get an iPhone 4 but eventually ended up with a Captivate that arrived today. I wanted to get a hang of the phone first just using wifi (which I have most times in the day) vs 3G , so I did not get a data plan yet.

What settings do I need to check so that I don't inadvertently use 3G for data and rack up a ridiculous bill?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. samtr87

samtr87 Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2010
    AT&T will probably add the data plan to your service automatically once it detects your phone.

3. Sharkonwheels

Sharkonwheels Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Soon as you turn that puppy on, you'll be PUT on a data plan.

I don't think you have an option - if you have a smartphone that sucks data, AT&T will PUT you on a data plan automatically. Least, that's what I have seen...

And you MUST be careful -Android/iOS suck down data, even though you may not do a SINGLE THING on it!

T

4. srahmed

srahmed New Member

Jul 22, 2010
    theres a program/widget you can get from marketplace that can turn off 3g. its called "APNdroid"

5. delta45

delta45 Member

Jul 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    If I look at my account online, my 'upgrade' is already activated. I have also taken a look at the renewed 2-year contract (PDF) they sent, but it really does not have any line item for a data plan. Do you think they will correct this later on?

6. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

Yes, you will get a text message saying they moved you to the 200MB Data Plan.

7. Sharkonwheels

Jan 6, 2010
    As Baldilocks said...

If you look online at the phones, all smartphones say "Requires a minimum data service starting at $15/month"

You will get a text, even when just switching phones, as I have done.

Even when I warranty-replaced the backflip, got a text then, too.
    Of course, I started with the backflip in March, so I have the $30 "unlimited data" plan.

Funny thing, is when you launch the AT&T Radio app on the Captivate, it's disclosure says "AT&T strongly recommends that you subscribe to an unlimited data plan for your device IN ADDITION to this purchase."

Funny - "Unlimited Data Plan" no longer exists, and hasn't since June 7, AT&T, and the phone was released 4 days ago!

T

8. fireonhigh

fireonhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    would i be able to use the internet on 2g?.. maybe it would slow the rate of data being used?....i have 2g on a omnia2 and i can stream music on a unlimited plan for dumbphones..

9. Baldilocks

Doesn't matter if you use 2G or not, you will be switched to a smartphone plan because of the phone you are using. NO WAY AROUND IT LEGALLY PEOPLE.

10. Sharkonwheels

Jan 6, 2010
    It's not really anything about legal or not - when you have your SIM in a smartphone, the IMEI will set off alarms if you have no data plan, and they will graciously add a data plan FOR you, because it is a smartphone, and is required, and they're being nice reminding you! :rolleyes:

T

11. keplenk

keplenk Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Prepaid FTW!

12. fireonhigh

Jul 16, 2010
    yeah you right ,unless you spoof the imei?,j/k,,anyways i already have the captivate,but i haven't registered it yet,im still enjoying unlimited for 15$ on omnia2,i dont get 3g everywhere but its a small price to pay,,,,,so i go get the 2gb plan and turn off 3g,will that be helpful in how much data im per month? i love my 15$ unlimited plan,but this galaxy s just smokes it!!!!!:D

13. DaMajorPayne

DaMajorPayne Active Member

Jul 19, 2010
    what if u have a non-smart phone and add a unlimited data to that for $15 then stick the sim into your new captivate will i get downgraded to a 200mb plan?

14. Baldilocks

Yes. :) We've answered that three or four times already. LOL.

15. DaMajorPayne

Jul 19, 2010

So wat happens if it stick it back into my non-smartphone does it go back to unlimited?

16. ricardo001

ricardo001 Active Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Very interesting discussion. I've had a JB iphone sine they first came out and I've never had a data plan added to my line. I do know that AT&T knows I have an iphone because our accounting department (its a company phone) told me that I needed to add data per AT&T. I just ingnored that request and kept on trucking.

I just my Captivate today and feel uneasy about poping my sim since may of you see certain that AT&T will add a data plan. But if so, whay havent they done that to me?

17. Baldilocks

Not sure. But trust me, they will switch you when you use the Captivate.

18. rob989_69

rob989_69 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Is your IPhone unlocked??

ALso, if you ahve a 3g they may not have required data back then. (not sure if they did with teh 3g or not.)

19. DaMajorPayne

Jul 19, 2010

Are u under a contract? They shouldnt be able to force to have a data plan if we dont have contract

20. rob989_69

rob989_69 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    You're right, they shouldn't. But your also wrong, they will.

21. ricardo001

ricardo001 Active Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I'm not under contract as far as I know. I've had the 2g, 3g, and 3gs and my bills have always been something like $48.00 with tax and all. Every phone I've had has been JB and at&t knows I have an iphone, so why would a Captivate be different?

Has anyone here had a data plan added without their consent?

Isn't it ironic that you are required to have a data plan when you use a smart phone but at the same time service providers are having to change more for data packages to keep some from bandwidth?

22. fireonhigh

Jul 16, 2010
    money grab for dumbass tv adds:mad: or are they going to upgrade?:rolleyes:...still lovin this android:)

23. ricardo001

ricardo001 Active Member

Jul 6, 2010
    huh?

24. DaMajorPayne

Jul 19, 2010
    So i guess this means we have to wait till we can unlock so they wont force add a data plan

25. Baldilocks

It being locked or unlocked has NOTHING to do with it.

For the LAST time: YOU ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE A DATA PLAN WITH THIS SMARTPHONE. YOU WILL BE FORCED ONTO A DATA PLAN SOON AFTER YOU START USING THE CAPTIVATE.