1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

No data plan?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by redbrick1138, Dec 8, 2013.

1. redbrick1138

redbrick1138 Lurker

I know this is crazy, but I've been considering getting an Android phone and relying upon wifi instead of a data plan. My question is: would an Android phone still be able to send & receive voice calls without me adding a data plan to my existing voice plan?

My carrier, T-Mobile, refuses to give me a straight answer on this. Instead, they just keep telling me I need to buy a smartphone + data plan from them if I want one at all. My notion is to get an unlocked phone and just swap the SIM card out of my existing dumb phone.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. matt1994

matt1994 Member

Yes. Calls will work without data plan. SMS also. MMS no, but there are other services for sending pictures (E-mail, Viber, Skype). Personally I wouldn't buy a smartphone without the data plan, but I respect your decision. You are also kind or right. Wifi's are very common these days.

mikedt likes this.
  3. JIMV

JIMV Android Enthusiast

My wife and I seldom/never use data when not on a WiFi. T-Mobile tried very hard to sell us an expensive data plan and simply could not understand our insistence on the smallest plan. Verizon was far worse.

I also wish the carriers would quote all the government greed fees when they quote a price.

I wish a carrier offered a program where I buy what I want and not what they have cobbled together.

4. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert

I didn't have a data plan until early this year. I too relied on wifi using t-mobile.

Calls and SMS
    As mentioned above, not an issue. Will be fine without a mobile data plan

MMS
    For MMS to your phone number, I told people to text me to turn on mobile data. Then I would turn on and text back and they sent me an MMS and then I turned off mobile data. Pain, but worked. As mentioned above, you can get MMS from skype, hangouts, etc. over wifi.

5. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love

Welcome to AF, Redbrick1138!:)

You might be able to swap out your SIM card to your new unlocked phone, but for instance, if you are switching out a Sim card from your dumb phone into a newer smartphone, it may not be compatable. I have had to purchase new Sim cards because the previously used Sim was incompatable with my newer phone.

6. Eugene

Eugene Android Expert

I did it for 3 years with my first smart phone. But I live where I can see my work building so I put up an outdoor directional wifi antenna :)

Then I wanted to get rid of winmo after fighting with it long enough for Android and the phone cost $500 without a data plan and jumping from the ~$20 a month voice plan to the ~$40 a month voice and data plan was only a difference of $20 per month or $240 a year so I figured I may as well just get the data plan as the cost worked out to $500 either way. I don't remember the exact cost and it may be different now.