• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No data signal on Desire

Nodders

Android Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2010
My Desire has started acting strangely today. Wifi works OK, phone signal works OK, what doesn't seem to work all of a sudden is the data signal. Any data signal, 3G, HDSPA or even GPRS - there is no icon in the notification bar and no access to the mobile internet.

I've tried:
* rebooting my phone
* turning APN and on again with and without Wifi
* checking my APN settings (OK)
* reinstalling the newest radio (one that ends in 20 - was working fine up to now)
* reinstalling my version of 2.2 (Defrost 2.5a)
* checking my carrier's site to see if there are any probs (Virgin Mobile)
* Oh and I've travelled about 50 miles today on my commute from outside London to central London with no signal at any time so I assume it isn't a local antenna problem.

All to no avail. II first noticed it at 0700 this morning - so it has now been like this for nearly 12 hours. The icon and connection remains stubbornly off. If I wasn't getting wifi or signal I would be really worried, but the fact that I can fills me with hope that it is either a setting or user error.

Anyone got any ideas as what the problem or solution may be?

Right sorted it. I installed Tasker and APNDroid the other day to control APN/Wifi as I leave and come into home. When the problem kicked off I disabled Tasker thinking that had done it, but looking at APNDroid it was left in disabled state. Enabling that did the trick.

Funny as I checked my little Tasker settings using the test function and it worked OK. Guess it is either a polling bug or (more likely) my error.

Thanks for the help bonerp and sorry for wasting your time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones