1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support No Dialer. Please Help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jbaggs90, Aug 8, 2011.

1. jbaggs90

jbaggs90 Lurker
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    I left my phone in the car the other day to enjoy a round of golf and now I can't access the dialer. When I go to contacts I can go to recent calls and favorites but when I touch the dialer it goes directly back the home screen UHG! What a pain in the ass to have to enter a number into my phone book before I can call it. I found this out trying to call a # from a web page and I seen the dialer pop up for a split second then go back to the page I was on. So I thought I would just type it in and got the home page over and over. I tried restarting the phone and pulling the battery but that was unsuccessful also. Is there a way to update the software without resetting my phone to factory settings.:thinking:

Advertisement

2. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    Running a task killer? I wouldn't think it would impact something like the dialer, but you never know with those things.

3. jbaggs90

jbaggs90 Lurker
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    No good B! I uninstalled task killer and restarted phone, still no dialer. It would be nice if I could just delete and re install the stock dialer but I can't find it in the app market

4. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    Try doing Market search for "dialer" and loading on a third party one to see if you get the same result. It may not fix the problem, but there's a chance you could use one as a band aid until a solution is found.

5. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Did you freeze some bloat? Like Yahoo authentication bloat? :D

6. jbaggs90

jbaggs90 Lurker
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    I was able to down load another dialer until I get the issue resolved. it would be so much simpler If I could just remove and reload the old one but it seems that there is no where to get it.

What is a Bloat?

7. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    I'll rephrase, did you freeze anything in Titanium Backup or rename any files (to disable them) in a program like Root Explorer?

Bloat is the junk that Verizon installs (so it can make a buck from the software's authors) on the phone that most phone owners find of no benefit, like CityID, Blockbuster, etc.

8. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    FWIW OP, I don't think you can just go out and "get" the dialer. I think it's part of the ROM and would likely require the hard reset you fear; I'm out of ideas to the alternative anyway. Do you happen to be rooted by any chance?

9. jbaggs90

jbaggs90 Lurker
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    Don't think I froze a bloat but I do have city id and blockbuster (not activated). I have a backup for all my other info phone #s email etc. I don't want to do a reboot and won't unless other things begin not to work.

10. av84doh

av84doh Lurker
    None

Dec 21, 2009
    Same thing happened to me. I was golfing too! Left the phone in the car and it got hot (I was in Phoenix with temp of 109 outside). Phone went into cool down mode and couldn't make calls. I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Downloaded another dialer. Hope to get this resolved quickly.