1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

No Download Mode to Root Phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by azmol, Dec 16, 2013.

1. azmol

azmol Lurker

I'm as green as green can be, so sorry if it appears to be an obvious question. :eek:

Using Kies I've updated my S2 to JellyBean, all works well.
    Now I need to root my phone and all the tutorials say go to DOWNLOAD mode using volume + power + center button. When I do this it starts up in recovery mode.
    I've searched Google and haven't found anything regarding this. Can anyone help or give advice. Thanks.

Phone Details:

Phone Version:
    PDA: I9100XWLSY
    PHONE: I9100BVLS4
    CSC:I9100MULS8
    Build Info: Fri May 31 18:37:45 KST 2013

Model Number:
    GT-I9100

Android Version

Baseband Version
    I9100BVLS4

Kernel Version

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Try this ... turn your phone off and unplug it from your PC (if plugged in). While holding both the volume up and volume down keys, plug in the USB cable from your PC. Do not touch the power button. See if that gets you there. :)

3. azmol

azmol Lurker

Just tried it, didn't work.

4. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert

Turn your phone off and wait a good thirty seconds to make sure it has shut down completely. Now Press Volume down, the home key and keep them pressed while pressing and holding the power key. You should get a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark (!) in it and a warning about installing a custom OS. Follow the on screen instructions to continue (volume up of memory serves) and you'll have a green Android with the words "downloading - donot turn off target" underneath him.

Incidentally, have you enabled developer mode? I can't remember if it makes a difference but no harm in trying. To do so : settings >general>about device and keep tapping build number at the bottom (seven taps I think).

5. azmol

azmol Lurker

Developer mode was already turned on. I waited 30+ seconds, and now I cannot even get it into recovery mode. I've tried 3/4 times, the phone will now only restart.

6. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert

Odd, very odd. I can only think your not doing it right. I'm stumped otherwise.

7. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

There have been instances of phones being fussy about going into d/l mode. You might need to use a jig. You can buy one on amazon for a few dollars or make one if you don't mind a little soldering. :)

8. vxgs

vxgs Lurker

The procedure for that is, hold volume down, hold home, then hold power button until you see the samsung logo, then release power button (like 1 second after you see the logo) but keep holding home and volume down until you enter the mode. If you keep holding the power button the device will just restart and if you release volume and home buttons when you see the samsung logo it won't go into download or recovery. Also, it needs to be done from a full shutdown state, not while restarting the phone, therefore, your best bet is take the battery out, insert, then proceed with the buttons.

I had problems with it also a long time ago, I was leaving the power button held and restarting or releasing all the buttons too early and was just missing the timing.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews