• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

BigRedNole

Aug 20, 2009
I was expecting to hear something from somewhere on the release of the Droid Bionic other than Android sites yesterday. All I can say is that I saw nothing on it any where other than these sites. Pretty much what came out yesterday was expected: people saying why they like it or hate it. The other thing was finding the best deal.

As a "flagship" phone, I would have expected news outlets to carry it, massive ad campaigns (especially with NFL on), or something. In the end, it was nothing. This is adding to the reasons not to even consider the phone. I did stop at BB to look at it. They did not have any and I was the first to even ask about it (5PM). The BB by me has no real attitude for the phone. They are gearing up for the iPhone most likely.

I was expecting to hear something from somewhere on the release of the Droid Bionic other than Android sites yesterday. All I can say is that I saw nothing on it any where other than these sites. Pretty much what came out yesterday was expected: people saying why they like it or hate it. The other thing was finding the best deal.

As a "flagship" phone, I would have expected news outlets to carry it, massive ad campaigns (especially with NFL on), or something. In the end, it was nothing. This is adding to the reasons not to even consider the phone. I did stop at BB to look at it. They did not have any and I was the first to even ask about it (5PM). The BB by me has no real attitude for the phone. They are gearing up for the iPhone most likely.

BB sucks. Been there done that.

Upvote 0
The release was on every big name tech site imaginable... not just Android sites. Verizon also had the DROID Bionic page up for quite a while and there are commercials on the release of the Bionic with a bold statement of "machine to rule all machines".

I had a BB before this device and hated it. I am so glad that I got this phone to replace my BB. One of the best decisions that I've made when it comes to smartphones.

Upvote 0
No, I mean in general, not just Best Buy.

I saw 1 commercial on Spike on Wednesday night. I did not see anything on the news yesterday. No commercials during the first NFL game. Nada zip anywhere.

I can understand every tech site having hype and all. However, that amounts to a minuscule number of customers. I went to the VZW store at lunch to see it. I do have to say I was impressed with everything but the screen. The store didn't even care it was released (maybe a day late?). They had the sign at the front of the store, about 10 reps standing around doing nothing, and none pushing the Bionic or any other phone for that matter. None could even answer why the 4G LTE speeds were slow.

I am a little concerned right now. I will go to the VZW store near my house today or tomorrow to retest 4G LTE.

Upvote 0
You'd skip a phone because it didn't have enough traditional advertising behind it? Haters gotta hate but this is just ridiculous.

LOL!! Well since you said it...I didnt wanna be the first to say it, so thank you. :D

I don't think we will ever see anything on the iPhone level as far as media coverage for releases. And that's fine. Doesn't make other phones inferior, doesn't mean you shouldn't get the phone.

Don't let others think for you. Think for yourself. Try it out and then see if you like it or not, wanna get it or not. Cuz for real, thats all that matters. What you think, not what NBC, or CNN thinks.

And Engadget isnt an Android site, BGR isnt an Android site, Cnet isnt an Android site, Phone Arena isnt....did I leave any out? And the Bionic commercial has been getting airplay in ESPN and NFL network. Maybe the times the OP watched those channels, he missed it. Some folks said they saw it on Nickolodean and Spike TV. And it was being shown in theaters. Maybe the OP needed to see a movie recently and get there early to catch it.

EDIT...been doing some searching and...lol.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds..._verizon_droid_bionic_release_date_price.html

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44422357/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/239600/motorola_droid_bionic_fullfeatured_fast_and_expensive.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/motorola-droid-bionic-verizon/4505-6452_7-34468463.html

The dates...all before the phone officially came out. None are Android sites. No fanfare? Not enough? I dont know..but murth might have said it best...sorry.

Upvote 0
.... No commercials during the first NFL game. Nada zip anywhere.

What?? Unless you were watching the game in person, you couldn't have missed the NFL/Bionic commercial featuring the spaghetti-armed Sanchez. It came on at least twice, maybe even three times.

Even though I've decided against buying the Bionic, I don't agree that Verizon has ignored it. It hasn't gotten the same advertising as the OG Droid, but that was a true game changer. The Bionic, although an improvement in some of the tech, isn't.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones