• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Fascinate till early fall-androidandme.com

Many people believe that it'll come out soon at least before mid-august since there was a news on buisnessweek regarding the release date saying it'll come out in late july or early august:
First Look: Samsung debuts its Galaxy S line of Android smartphones - BusinessWeek

However, the leaked verizon summer catalog does not mention about Fascinate while it shows Droid 2 on coming soon. It is more reliable than businessweek article because it seems like official catalog leaked earlier:
What Verizon will do on its Summer vacation (Phone Arena News)

I feel little worrying about realease date because fascinate is with Bing search (not Google search) and I think it won't come out named Droid Fascinate, but Samsung Fascinate.
That means, it might come out in different platform which Verizon doesn't care much about.

I think it'll delay the release date and will come out later than we expect. What do you think?

I think Bing thing is okay since captivate and galaxy s are already rooted and it is said that other galaxy s devices will be rooted easily, so even if there is some kind of vzw lock for Bing, we can always change it to whatever we want... It seems like fascinate is delaying since there is no reason not to put the device they will launch on the catalog..

It seems like all because of VZW and Moto partnership thing. we all know that galaxy s > droid x and even with qwerty keyboard (droid 2), seems hard to figure out which will win.

So VZW gives droid X advantage that it releases Fascinate much later than droid x (not even on the catalog) and put Bing instead of Google in it, so to make people more into motorola phones. It sucks.

Upvote 0
then i'm getting droid x on thursday.... shoot...

Are you interested in rooting at all? If you are, (well you eventually will be if you stick around these forums), I would say stick it out for the Fascinate (worst name ever.) Is the Droid X a fantastic phone? Absolutely. But you will get bored easily if you are like me without root access. Flashing new roms becomes addictive and it's like a new phone each time. I was originally headed for the Droid X, but am completely turned off by the having it locked down. BUT, if you have no interest in rooting, go for the X.

Upvote 0
Rippin took the words out of my mouth lol

It seems like sense the Droid X/Droid 2 are summer phone and if they continue to sell it, the Droid incredible is their Spring Phone

They will need a phone for the fall because by the time thanksgiving/black friday and all the holidays roll around, all 3 droids are kind of old news...

Personally, i think the fascinate will be Verizon's first LTE device

Upvote 0
Interesting idea. Maybe the delay in release is due to Verizon/Samsung making the phone CDMA/LTE compatible so it is able to upgrade when LTE rolls out. Hmmmmm...

That's what i am thinking, it makes sense anyway

I mean really there is no need for them to release this phone at all really...not now anyways

1)Motorola Droid is still kicking although it will soon be EOL'D
2)Motorola Droid 2 is going to be released next month will pick up where the original left off
3)Backordered HTC incredibles are still popular
4)And of course the X is released tomorrow

Yes Tmo and At & T are both releasing their phones this month and Sprint is supposedly releasing the epic in September

But i honestly don't see the phone doing that well with the 3 droids because from a non-tech standpoint, all 3 droids basically can match up to the fascinate

However since i have to have the latest and greatest, i probably will be buying myself a fascinate(even though I plan to have an X tomorrow or friday)

Upvote 0
I was originally all for getting the Droid X, until the devastating news of a locked bootloader. For most, the Droid X will be sufficient, but I enjoy tinkering around and flashing new roms. That being said, I am sure once I get the Fascinate something newer and better will come along and I will be picking that up as well. I just hope there is huge developer support for the Fascinate, which there should be seeing as Samsung isn't locking everything down.

Upvote 0
Chances are they'll identify a weakness in the Bootloader once they release Froyo to the X and all will be good. Just look at the HTC Eris. It was pain to crack and root, but someone analyzed what when on with the 1.5 update to MR2 and not long after Eris users had root and custom ROMS that's if you didn't upgrade to 2.1 leak and get the 1.49 bootloader.

Upvote 0
Chances are they'll identify a weakness in the Bootloader once they release Froyo to the X and all will be good. Just look at the HTC Eris. It was pain to crack and root, but someone analyzed what when on with the 1.5 update to MR2 and not long after Eris users had root and custom ROMS that's if you didn't upgrade to 2.1 leak and get the 1.49 bootloader.

I certainly hope you are correct in someone finding a way around it, but the outlook is not good. The HTC Eris came out a while ago, and Motorola is determined to stay on top of things by keeping people out with a digitally signed bootloader and the implementation of eFuse. To this date, the Milestone has yet to be unlocked. If the same goes for the Droid X, by the time devs find a way to unlock, LTE handsets will be available and people will be moving on to the next best thing.

Motorola, see ya later! Samsung, your move!

http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...roid-x-encrypted-bootloader-efuse-thread.html

Upvote 0
I highly doubt the Fascinate will be an LTE phone or released that late. Samsung said the four major carriers would be getting the phone this summer. Don't read too far into the product guide just yet.

I can't find anywhere that Samsung said it will be released on all carriers this summer. Only the Captivate and Vibrant have release dates as of now. I don't think anyone is reading into the product guide too much, but rather giving alternate ideas as to why they are delaying the release (besides the obvious competition to the upcoming Droids).

Upvote 0
I was originally all for getting the Droid X, until the devastating news of a locked bootloader. For most, the Droid X will be sufficient, but I enjoy tinkering around and flashing new roms. That being said, I am sure once I get the Fascinate something newer and better will come along and I will be picking that up as well. I just hope there is huge developer support for the Fascinate, which there should be seeing as Samsung isn't locking everything down.

yeah i don't care about the roms and all but i know a lot of people do

The only time i really rooted my phone was just to overclock it....

I actually like the UI's on both the X and the fascinate

Upvote 0
The reason for no transparency on release is this and the reason I question even getting this phone despite it having Great specs.

If you were to ever see Samsung, Motorola and Verizon walking down the street together on a nice Sunday afternoon....

....Motorola and Verizon would be holding hands and Samsung would be following behind as the third wheel.

Just look at the Droid X press release compared to the Fascinate press release. The Verizon rep at the Fascinate release is an idiot that probably got sent there because his boss didn't want to go. Verizon could care less about the Fascinate and is more proud of the Droid X. That's what worries me about the Fascinate

YouTube - Samsung Fascinate

Upvote 0
carmendiva, i think your idea seems right. since droid x and droid 2 are doing well, there is no reason to sell another good phone even though other carriers sell the same phone.

Just like sprint is doing well with evo 4g, so no need to sell epic 4g early.
Even if fascinate will be with LTE or not, it seems solid that it will take time to get fascinate...

i am going to buy droid x tmr..

Upvote 0
The reason for no transparency on release is this and the reason I question even getting this phone despite it having Great specs.

If you were to ever see Samsung, Motorola and Verizon walking down the street together on a nice Sunday afternoon....

....Motorola and Verizon would be holding hands and Samsung would be following behind as the third wheel.

Just look at the Droid X press release compared to the Fascinate press release. The Verizon rep at the Fascinate release is an idiot that probably got sent there because his boss didn't want to go. Verizon could care less about the Fascinate and is more proud of the Droid X. That's what worries me about the Fascinate

The press release and hype is all fine and dandy, but only time will tell. I foresee more and more developers abandoning the Droid X until a proper root is found and gravitating towards Samsung's willingness to remain open. If root is obtained (a big IF) on the Droid X, then all is well. I just appreciate choices! If you are not concerned with custom roms and actually 'owning' your device, the Droid X is awesome. For the others (which is probably a tiny fraction of android owners) who like to tinker with thier device and have complete access, we have the Fascinate. But like I said, only time will tell. Having all these options does nothing but make for a better experience on our end.

Upvote 0
SO droid x won't ever be rooted????

it makes me sick of choosing one of those phones that are not even released...!!!! kk

My magic 8 ball says: "Outlook not so good". You can always take the 'wait and see' approach, but you may be waiting a looooong time. The Milestone has yet to be rooted, and if that is any indication along with Motorola's increased security...doesn't seem possible to happen quickly, if at all. Basically, if you want to root and flash custom roms, go for the Fascinate as the Galaxy S phones have been rooted (CDMA root should follow shortly).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones