• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Fascinate till early fall-androidandme.com

The reason for no transparency on release is this and the reason I question even getting this phone despite it having Great specs.

If you were to ever see Samsung, Motorola and Verizon walking down the street together on a nice Sunday afternoon....

....Motorola and Verizon would be holding hands and Samsung would be following behind as the third wheel.

Just look at the Droid X press release compared to the Fascinate press release. The Verizon rep at the Fascinate release is an idiot that probably got sent there because his boss didn't want to go. Verizon could care less about the Fascinate and is more proud of the Droid X. That's what worries me about the Fascinate

YouTube - Samsung Fascinate

The Verizon rep is very stupid. :eek:

Upvote 0
Couldn't stand the lack of info and the fact that the galaxy s is on all carriers is a double edged sword (maybe it is because of what majorconvert was guessing) so I bit the bullet on the droid x. I hope they get on the ball with the Fascinate and you guys don't have to wait too long.

I said screw it and got the X too. However im gonna stop at ATT monday or tuesday to check out the captivate just to get an idea what its gonna be like. Then well see what happens in the next 30 days...

Upvote 0
If any of you followed the Omnia II release you will know this phone will not come out for months and won't be released with the current updated software....ie 6.1 instead of 6.5 or 2.1 instead of 2.2. Before android came to the scene I used win-mo and when news of the OmniaII came out with its screen and specs there was a bunch of hype but it seemed like verizon waited a few more months to release it and with no marketing and the phone was a complete flop. I really hope this doesn't happen with the fascinate as it looks to have alot of potential.

this is not meant to be a bash against samsung or verizon because i'm debating upgrading my droid for the fascinate but just an observation from what happened a couple years ago...or last year...they all mix together.

Upvote 0
If any of you followed the Omnia II release you will know this phone will not come out for months and won't be released with the current updated software....ie 6.1 instead of 6.5 or 2.1 instead of 2.2. Before android came to the scene I used win-mo and when news of the OmniaII came out with its screen and specs there was a bunch of hype but it seemed like verizon waited a few more months to release it and with no marketing and the phone was a complete flop. I really hope this doesn't happen with the fascinate as it looks to have alot of potential.

It is funny, because the Omnia II came out about a month or so after the original DROID... I was all pumped to get the DROID, even visiting VZW on Launch day an a few other times... but I just hated the keyboard... so I waited and went with the Omnia II... I must say the Omnia II is a very nice phone... amazing screen... certainly not as fast as today's devices, but a good phone with a great Chef crew ... I have almost moved on from it twice, looking at the Incredible and the new Droids... but I am going to wait a bit longer and see what happens... :)

Upvote 0
I said screw it and got the X too. However im gonna stop at ATT monday or tuesday to check out the captivate just to get an idea what its gonna be like. Then well see what happens in the next 30 days...

Let us know what it's like.... I'm pretty sure you may return your Droid X afterwards. I have a cousin who works at VZW and she was crazy hype about the Droid X, til she saw the Captivate and the Fascinate. Shoot I use to be hype, but I'm waiting for the Fascinate.

Upvote 0
Don't be surprised if:

• The Fascinate has been delayed while Samsung develops a locked bootloader for it on Verizon's orders; or
  • It comes out in October or later when other, arguably superior devices are about to be released, and Verizon unloads it at a fire-sale price; or
  • Verizon never releases this phone.

The fact that most of us think Verizon are idiots for not releasing this phone now simply means their strategy around it is beyond our comprehension.

Reactions: ckochinsky125
Upvote 0
With the Incredible and Droid X currently showing 8/3 shipping dates due to demand and the Droid 2 supposedly being released 8/23, it's difficult to envision another major Verizon phone release in August. But stranger things have happened.

Samsung's role in the Incredible screen debacle probably hasn't helped. I understand what they did from a business perspective but it definitely hurt Verizon both financially and with their customers, so I can also understand Verizon not being too interested in doing anything to help Samsung unless it also benefits them. Since all the major carriers will be offering Galaxy S versions, and most before Verizon, there is also probably less incentive to push the Fascinate in lieu of some more Verizon exclusive products.

Or a more 'out of the box' thought is that there is an iPhone or Fascinate situation. The phones are similar in many ways and it might just be smart business for Verizon to use that to get the best deal either way. I definitely have a hard time seeing both coming to Verizon, at least within any reasonable time period of one another.

Upvote 0
I doubt this phone will come anytime soon, I went to three different verizon stores and no one knew about the Fasinate. I'm starting to think this was all a cruel joke, because you figure we hear a update by now.
However, Verizon does not talk or mention their phone until like 1 day before then launch unless it's a blackberry or the Droids. They have always done this and I wouldn't be surprised if it launches without any hint at all.

Upvote 0
However, Verizon does not talk or mention their phone until like 1 day before then launch unless it's a blackberry or the Droids. They have always done this and I wouldn't be surprised if it launches without any hint at all.

Yeah and that kind ticks me off, because it shows they don't care about the other phones (I wouldn't be shocked if BB and Moto paid verizon). Because it seems odd they are pushing those brands more so then any other.

Upvote 0
Yeah and that kind ticks me off, because it shows they don't care about the other phones (I wouldn't be shocked if BB and Moto paid verizon). Because it seems odd they are pushing those brands more so then any other.
Yeah that's probably a valid assumption. Also, those two brand have been good to VZ. BBs have always sold well, Original Droid was the first non-BB smartphone to sell well for VZ.

Upvote 0
Why does it seem odd? As I noted before, Motorola, HTC and others have recently seemed pretty good at providing Verizon some solid, exclusive products. In comparison, every major carrier has or will soon have their own Galaxy S version and thus the Fascinate is not as likely to get people to switch from other carriers. Which would you likely prioritize, phones like the Incredible, DX and D2 that will likely bring you new customers as well as supporting existing customers or a "me too" phone that your competition also offers?

That Samsung didn't help out HTC, their competition, is one thing, but they had to know that their decision to not expand the production of AMOLED screens for the HTC Incredible in order to focus on Super AMOLED production for their own devices would negatively affect Verizon. And while business is business, would you go out of your way to support a business partner whose recent actions seemed to be based on their potential profit even if that meant supporting your direct competition and costing you in multiple ways?

And putting both of these together, since they are not the first with a Galaxy S device I can also see Verizon wanting to wait and see how demand and supply actually play out before initiating a lot of hoopla and promotion. Knowing if the Galaxy S is as good as people hope or if it might be so popular as to have supply problems when released on multiple carriers would be nice to know before starting a big, expensive marketing campaign.

Along the same lines, look at the Captivate and Vibrant forums and you'll find that there seem to be a number of fairly common issues being experienced relating to the GPS, MMS functionality, Facebook sync, lag (possibly due to Samsung UI) and so on. Most of these can probably be fixed via software updates, but again, more information for Verizon and by waiting a bit, issues that may be addressed prior to the Fascinate being released.

You can't divorce the product from the situation and other than the product, Samsung seems to have provided Verizon very little reason to hurry on a Fascinate release. I think the blame for any delays in releasing the Fascinate might be getting directed at the wrong parties.

Reactions: mttfrog13
Upvote 0
So today on Facebook, Samsung posted this vague entry about the Fascinate: "The Samsung Fascinate on Verizon is weeks away" ...

Now how many weeks? who knows .. 3, 8? :cool:

weeks would have to mean less than two months i guess since then they would have to say months. Too late for me anyway I already got the captivate galaxy s. I'm not that mad about the missing flash. I don't get reception in the concrete basement for a minute every now and then at my workplace, but overall coverage is good and i'm satisfied with that. I prefer the appearance of the captivate too and the discount i get with at&t

Upvote 0
Does anyone have the latest info on the Fascinate release. I keep reading different dates. I may switch to verizon, but I want this phone.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-fascinate/142870-fascinate-seen-wild.html (follow link in first post)

This is the latest info I have heard on the Fascinate, albeit not the greatest news (late September release according to the intomobile info). I'm contemplating getting either the Droid X or the Fascinate. Wish the Fascinate had a concrete release date but this is as close as we get for now.

First post BTW :)

Upvote 0
I agree... this is extremely frustrating! I've been holding out on Android phones since their initial launch as I was skeptical of their potential success and satisfied with my BB. I do like and own several Apple products so my wife and I decided to give the iPhone 4 a go. While I must say the phone itself and it's ease of use were great, in the end we had to return it because the coverage in our area was TERRIBLE! After that I was ready to give Android and the DX a try but I came across an article about the Samsung Galaxy S (Fascinate) a few days prior to the DX release and decided that the SF was the phone for me. Now I'm all ready to jump on the Android wagon and am stuck waiting for my phone to be released. I cant think of any "Good" reason for VZ to delay the launch other than for their own selfish ones. A possible 1 - 2 month delay on a phone that is already available on every other major network in the US or at least has a release date set is unacceptable. I've vented my frustration to the folks at VZ but I'm just a little ant in the colony... what good will that really do. Here's hoping to sooner rather than later...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones