• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Galaxy S9 software updates

Billybronco

Mar 28, 2019
I have a Galaxy S9 on Verizon. The phone was originally bought as an AT&T phone unlocked since I switched over to Verizon about 3 months ago I've had no system or software updates done to the phone. Verizon says it needs to be manually downloaded, I called a phone repair place and they said don't do it it will screw the phone up. It's still running Android version 9 last security update was in November of 2019. The phone works fine and I love it. Does anybody have experience with this and possibly using the Verizon software upgrade assistant where you download software on your computer and push it over to the phone. Someone else also told me to use Odin but that seemed a bit complicated to me to reflash the software on the phone. Maybe I'm just screwed but I figured I'd give it a shot.

It's a common problem that carrier-branded phones don't get updates unless they are connected to the original carrier's network (as it's that carrier who build and distribute the modified software for their phones).

I don't suppose your repair shop said why they think that manually updating will mess the phone up? If you had it unlocked unofficially it might relock it, but a proper unlock shouldn't be affected. I can't think of any other reason (though just so you know I've never dealt with Verizon, who seem to be the worst control freaks in the entire industry).

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Correct, the carrier branding is in the internal phone hardware and firmware. The SIM enables it to operate on a specific carrier's network but removing it does not alter the phone's branding or model version. It is not possible to change a phone that was originally branded for AT&T to be identical to one branded for Verizon (or any other carrier), it is only possible to enable it to use a different carrier's network by installing their SIM and registering the phone with them (assuming their policies allow this).
It may be possible to update the AT&T firmware to the latest available version but you would have to do so on your own since as stated an over-the-air update is not possible through a different carrier. The suggestion above to use Smart Switch is probably your best option, this is a program available from Samsung that you install on your PC. Once installed you can connect the phone to the PC via USB and it will recognize the device and offer an upgrade if there is one available. Make sure to back up your data before proceeding just in case-
https://www.samsung.com/us/smart-switch/

Upvote 0
Thanks, next chance I get I will try that. I do have another Galaxy S9 that's unbranded and unlocked I'm going to try to update that first and see what happens. I keep it as a backup phone, pretty much cloned to my everyday phone but the screen is pretty scratched up so I just keep it as a spare. I'm hoping where it's unbranded that I can proceed with the standard backup and not have to use the Samsung switch but I'll keep you posted what happens in both cases.

Upvote 0
How does Verizon firmware get on an AT&T phone? Is this part of the process when they set up your phone?
firmware is basically the update of the os. so each firmware has all of the verizon bloatware included. if you get the phone unlocked, and switch to another carrier you will still have all of the verizon stuff on the phone. it is basically tied to the phone in that it is something that is in the system os.

Upvote 0
firmware is basically the update of the os. so each firmware has all of the verizon bloatware included. if you get the phone unlocked, and switch to another carrier you will still have all of the verizon stuff on the phone. it is basically tied to the phone in that it is something that is in the system os.

I can understand that if its a Verizon branded phone or an AT&T branded phone or whatever it would have that companies bloatware on the OS but when the phone is an AT&T phone and you switch to Verizon how does that affect the OS as mentioned in a previous post.

Upvote 0
How does Verizon firmware get on an AT&T phone? Is this part of the process when they set up your phone?
Sorry, I'd forgotten which way round the switch has happened. If it was originally an ATT phone now on Verizon it will have ATT firmware - I'd thought it was the other way round.

Upvote 0
Correct, the carrier branding is in the internal phone hardware and firmware. The SIM enables it to operate on a specific carrier's network but removing it does not alter the phone's branding or model version. It is not possible to change a phone that was originally branded for AT&T to be identical to one branded for Verizon (or any other carrier), it is only possible to enable it to use a different carrier's network by installing their SIM and registering the phone with them (assuming their policies allow this).
It may be possible to update the AT&T firmware to the latest available version but you would have to do so on your own since as stated an over-the-air update is not possible through a different carrier. The suggestion above to use Smart Switch is probably your best option, this is a program available from Samsung that you install on your PC. Once installed you can connect the phone to the PC via USB and it will recognize the device and offer an upgrade if there is one available. Make sure to back up your data before proceeding just in case-

Fox, do you recommend I take the SIM card out before doing this process with Samsung Smart Switch or doesn't that matter, thanks

Upvote 0

Fox, do you recommend I take the SIM card out before doing this process with Samsung Smart Switch or doesn't that matter, thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones