• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No googoo, private

What gallery should I use? I notice there is none included. I thought it was standard. I still want some backed up, though.
Turn off Backup & Sync in Google Photos but keep using the app. Then for a picture you want to backup - tap the pic to view it and there will be a cloud icon, tap the cloud icon to backup that one pic.

Reactions: Milo Willamson
Upvote 0
I know that googoo saves camera photos automatically if backup and sync is on, but that it asks if things in other image folders should be saved. Is there a way to do this oneself without having to wait for the device to establish a new folder? That way, if goohoo asks whether to back it up, we can just tell it "no". I want to make my own images folder(s).

Upvote 0
What gallery should I use? I notice there is none included. I thought it was standard. I still want some backed up, though.

There are many gallery apps, one that I have personally been happy with is Simple Gallery (from Simple Mobile Tools), it's free to use without any ads or nagging, but you can also buy it if you like.

Reactions: ocnbrze and Rgarner
Upvote 0
I know that googoo saves camera photos automatically if backup and sync is on, but that it asks if things in other image folders should be saved. Is there a way to do this oneself without having to wait for the device to establish a new folder? That way, if goohoo asks whether to back it up, we can just tell it "no". I want to make my own images folder(s).

An option is to simply install another camera. Again, Simple Mobile Tools makes a nice camera without ads or nagging, I use it at work to photograph damaged product and have pre-set it to a much lower resolution for easy texting. I also have it save to a different directory.

Reactions: ocnbrze and Rgarner
Upvote 0
Kate has the best answer! Just turn off synching of the images, unless you have a desktop, like me. With the usb adaptor cords plugged in and able to stop synching your own account, then yeah you wound up so frustrating with the photos you really want to keep on forever and just kind of struggling without knowing it. You can download an app from the google play store and you will be okay for the time being, you can still pretty much set up folders for that too. But need to turn off the synch settings from getting Google account to snapback on your clouds, unless you really want butt naked rabbits on the cloud :)

Upvote 0
Ok, I downloaded Simple Camera. I am trying to add a new folder to save to, but it hasn't liked my name choices. I began with external/DCIM, which apparently has some invalid characters. I took out the DCIM, which hasn't helped much.

The settings give you the opportunity to navigate to the desired directory. In my case, as an example, I created (with my file manager) a sub-directory of 'Documents' named 'simplePhotos', and then just navigated the camera app there and tapped okay. In that setting option, you'll see on top where it says 'internal / DCIM', just tap 'internal' and it'll present you with navigating to another internal or external directory hope this helps

Reactions: Rgarner
Upvote 0
I'm not sure if this is working out too great. I made a couple of really short videos and took a picture, nothing good, just as a test. Under the X-plore file name that I made up it lists only one thing, but it says it's empty, and I can't display it. Here's a screenshot (I hope).
Screenshot_20201231-091629.png
I don't know why it says yesterday, and I also noticed that at least one of the pictures has apparently shown up in Photos. I had to lower the resolution to shoot the second video.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones