1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

No HD video. Really, how could they.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Gabby, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Gabby

Gabby Lurker

So my OG droid played Netflix and Youtube videos really clear. My Nexus with its big wonderful screen looks, well not so good. When its plays Youtube videos it says HD but I read here that the phone wont play HD. Does anyone think this can or will be changed in future updates??

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Outatime

Outatime Android Expert

If you're looking at an HD video and it doesn't look good on your Nexus, something is wrong. Search YouTube for 1080p HD Demo and pick one. Make sure it's in HD (tick the bottom left checkbox if it's not lit up). It's so bright, vibrant and sharp on mine it looks like I'm standing there.

dmodert66, jbdan, Yadao and 1 other person like this.
  3. clb2196

clb2196 Android Enthusiast

You also might have to change the setting in the Youtube app to make it show the HD version when you're on a mobile network. It's under settings somewhere in the app. That was my issue.

RazorSharp and steevo1 like this.
  4. Gabby

Gabby Lurker

Well my settings in Youtube are correct. Video for Netflix and Youtube not very good. But.... I connected to my home wi-fi and Youtube videos are amazing!!! Very, very clear. Just not good over 3g or 4g I guess. Not to happy with this. My two year old Droid was better. :rolleyes:

5. brain85

brain85 Well-Known Member

Go to settings and make sure "play HQ over mobile network" is checked.

mistermojorizi likes this.
  6. andyandroid81891

andyandroid81891 Well-Known Member

Just like the netflix website, streaming quality depends on connection quality. If you have full bars on 4G i suspect you'll find the quality to be excellent.

7. Gabby

Gabby Lurker

When you say check settings. Do you mean in Youtube? I have checked it and it was correct. When I go to phone settings I dont see an option for video playback.

8. stew930

stew930 Well-Known Member

By default YouTube is set to play in High Quality.

I just watched the new Mission Impossible 1080P trailer and it looked perfect. Wish it was full screen though.

HD Netflix videos never looked that great until I sideloaded the Netflix.apk and now they look nice even though its not full screen.

9. Droidood

Droidood Well-Known Member

There is no such option. Check again -- it says START videos in HQ on mobile network. You can still just click the HQ button after the video starts playing if you dont have that option on.

10. Romparoo

Romparoo Android Enthusiast

I am currently watching Blackhawk down on Netflix over 3G and it is amazingly clear, looks spectaculiar!!!!

11. pragmatous

pragmatous Android Enthusiast

In the app youtube, go to settings, and check mark "High Quality on mobile". It took me 2 seconds to find it.

12. Droidood

Droidood Well-Known Member

Or just click the HQ button in the corner while the video is playing...

13. TheGuardian

TheGuardian Member

I played an HD video using the youtube app, beautiful HD quality.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews