• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No ICS for the Galaxy S advance, but straight to Jelly bean

I've noticed some sites stating that JB has been released for the Advance in Russia, Spain and the UK and then showing a guide on how to use Odin to revert back to GB.

However I have a sim-free Advance and keep checking for an update every few days and have nothing, same if connect by USB to Kies. So I'm calling bee ess on it unless others in the UK have received OTA.

Upvote 0
I read many reactions of Indian users on a Facebook fan page.

http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/profile.php?id=142755859176116&__user=598056492

I will search the more trustable sites I found when I have more time. These are some links I found in these 2 minutes I had for searching. I know these are more crappy sites.

Tablet Dunia: Samsung Galaxy S Advance start getting Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update in India

Samsung Galaxy S Advance I9070 Receives Official Android 4.1.2 Jellybean Update In India ~ PCNEXUS

Samsung Rolls Out Android 4.1 For Galaxy S Advance

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Now I know why you didn't find it on gsm arena, I think I saw it on PHONE arena like the link you gave here xp

Im going to wait for the official update of my country.

:D

Yeah, probably a good idea. I've seen it numerous times with other Samsung devices - people very eager to get the update, so they'll flash the firmware designed for other countries. It never ends well. :(

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That's quite an important thing to do after a major update, I penned a sticky in the One X section after that was updated to JB explaining why: http://androidforums.com/htc-one-x-xl/666917-jb-update-issues-factory-resets-please-read.html

Whilst it mentions the One X, it rings true for any phone.

I'm experiencing lag when quitting an app on my device (gingerbread). All icon on my homescreen dissappear and then start coming back one for one slowly (it takes like 4-5 seconds). It does not happens all the time, but still like every 5 times I quit an app.

Maybe this factory reset like you told, may fix my problem as well, so thank you for the information.

Now the only thing that stops me is the back up part, will I really be able to backup all my apps and the progress I have in games, setting and other things I saved in apps (example: camscanner and all the pdfs I created with it), other settings I made in my phone,...

Does this require root to backup everything? I would be nice to have a copy like my girlfriends iphone can make and saves to icloud.

Thnx in advance :)

Upvote 0
That's one advantage iOS has over Android, the backup process is so easy by all accounts.

Root used to be required to back stuff up, but check out an app called Carbon Backup on the Play store, that will supposedly back stuff up d restore without root, but I've never tried it. Others have and say it does the job though.

What games btw, some games have their own specific backup process or a 3rd party app that will do it.

Also for texts etc, there are apps which will do that too.

Contacts should be backed up to Google (check by looking at the contacts section of your Gmail account on a PC).

A lot of other stuff is backed up to the cloud, if you have a backup and reset option in settings, is the backup my data option checked?

Upvote 0
Yes I have backup checked. Thank you for the quick response. I will look up the apps you have told and I will so some research. I just don't want to lose anything.

Edit: I looked up these apps, but I need root in order to backup app data. I can backup apps themselves, but not the data and settings. But I really don't want to lose all this hours I put in games and other apps.

Upvote 0
Noob-> What's the difference between the FW release of each country? Can you just grab the Jelly Bean firmware of any country from somewhere and flash the phone with it? I just need it in English.

I got my Galaxy S Advance with a Chinese firmware loaded with shait apps. Especially with all the "slow threats", I would like to make sure I have a crispy clean install of JB. And who knows what mods are there designed to make my life more harmonized.

Upvote 0
Noob-> What's the difference between the FW release of each country? Can you just grab the Jelly Bean firmware of any country from somewhere and flash the phone with it? I just need it in English.

I got my Galaxy S Advance with a Chinese firmware loaded with shait apps. Especially with all the "slow threats", I would like to make sure I have a crispy clean install of JB. And who knows what mods are there designed to make my life more harmonized.

Taking full account of your last post in this topic I am still having trouble discerning what on earth you're on about.

Upvote 0
I got sooo tired of waiting, so I updated my phone with the german version of jelly bean. My phone was starting to lag A LOT on gingerbread and now all this lag seems to be gone.

Everything is currently working awesome and is looking better, but still I haven't tested it out completely.

I also did a factory reset after updating to jelly bean, so now Im first restoring all my apps and data. I will post soon what my experience is with jelly bean.

BTW I posted earlier that I didn't know how to backup everything, so this is what I did. I made a simple backup with kies, google and samsung. After this I installed jelly bean (this doens't remove any data) and after jelly bean was installed I was able to install 'Helium' (only works on ICS and above).

I made a backup with helium of my apps and the app data and than I did the factory reset. It takes a while to restore everything, but it's worth the time.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
recently i updated to jellybean and i had a few Ques..
1.does force gpu rendering in devepoler options make the games faster??
2.when that force gpu rendering option is unchecked, is the gpu still used the games??
3.what are the drawbacks of using it??
4.if we use is... will it make the games even slower than before??????:thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones