• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No internet access when on wifi

Spattykins

Dec 11, 2012
Hello, I've had my kyocera rise for a few months now and I recently ran into a problem.
I have no internet access when connected to the wifi. I can access the internet when disconnected but it's incredibly slow and I'd rather use the wifi. I use the default browser because chrome messed up my connection somehow in the past. I've cleared my cache, cookies and form data but to no avail.
Any suggestions?

Hello, I've had my kyocera rise for a few months now and I recently ran into a problem.
I have no internet access when connected to the wifi. I can access the internet when disconnected but it's incredibly slow and I'd rather use the wifi. I use the default browser because chrome messed up my connection somehow in the past. I've cleared my cache, cookies and form data but to no avail.
Any suggestions?

is this on your home network? could it be your router? what happens when you try to connect on wifi? errors? or nothing? does the phone show its connected? or it will not connect?

Reactions: Spattykins
Upvote 0
is this on your home network? could it be your router? what happens when you try to connect on wifi? errors? or nothing? does the phone show its connected? or it will not connect?

It's my home network.
All my other devices can connect to it without issue.
My phone doesnt give any error messages. It just tells me it's connected, lights up the wifi icon and then claims it cannot connect to any websites as if i had no connection.

Upvote 0
Some extra information in case this helps, ive had this problem in the past when coming into range of my wifi on my way home from school. Disconnecting from the network and then restarting my phone worked up until sunday when this began.
I'm pretty sure it's not a virus because Im only ever on youtube and wikipedia on my phone and i don't download things directly to my phone.

Upvote 0
So you can't connect to your wifi through phone but all other devices work on it correct.
before doing factory reset try updating ur software on phone if you haven't already. Did you update phone recently?. This could also be a problem if so back up phone and try removing update. Try that if nothing you might have no choice but to do a reset.

Reactions: Spattykins
Upvote 0
I haven't updated and I haven't been notified of an update but I'm trying the wifi fixer from crashdamage's link.
It's not telling me that there's any issue with the wifi but for some reason when I hit the forget my network to disconnect, shut off my wifi, restart my phone and reconnect to my network, I can get to google. But nowhere else.

Upvote 0
This kind of problem is sometimes related to DNS (Domain Name System) resolution. DNS translates website names into numerical IP addresses. Does using an IP address rather than a website name allow you to connect? For example, instead of 'google.com' use ' http://74.125.224.72/'. If so, it's a DNS problem.

There can be several causes for this. Try rebooting routers or modems first. Clear browser caches and cookies. If still no luck, try a different browser. If still no go, contact your ISP. Sometimes the problem is on their end.

Upvote 0
I am having the exact same issue. I have other devices that can connect to the internet. My phone says it is connect to the wifi network, but no internet access or android network access. What do I need to ask the ISP to do to restore the connection for my phone?
welcome to AF!!!!!!!!

it would help also to let us know what device you have? is it up to date with firmware? is it rooted?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones