1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

No Internet in 3G (GPRS)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mindwalker, May 24, 2011.

1. mindwalker

mindwalker Member

Hey guys,

I hope this is not a completely noob question :)

So I just got my Nexus S yesterday.... based in the Netherlands at the mom.

I'm enjoying the phone thus far... been using it at home in my wireless with no problems. However I never really got the 3G internet to work. I do have the 3G symbol, but I can't get to any webpage either with full signal or with 2 bars like I have at the moment (-99 dbm 7 asu). I find this rather strange as I had no problems whatsoever with my Nokia 5800. With the Nokia I could get a GPRS (3G) internet connection even with one bar...
    I've looked into the settings but there's nowhere you can configure the 3G internet settings... so I guess they're pulled from the network automatically ?

I'm sure this is probably my wrong doing, but if it's not then it's a tragedy for a mobile phone.

Anyone has some good hints maybe ? :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mindwalker

mindwalker Member

ok I solved my own problem... here's the solution if anyone in the Netherlands stumbles upon the same.

My Nexus S had the default APN of Rabo Mobiel. However my SIM card provider is T-Mobile. At this point I should mention that I bought the phone unlocked (or sim-free) so I'm surprised to see a default APN on the phone that I never subscribed to. There should be none I suppose.

On T-Mobile's dutch website there's instructions on how to configure a phone called T-Mobile G1 T-Mobile.nl Toestelhulp

Those set of instructions work for the Nexus S. The interesting point is that if you try to follow the instructions for the Galaxy S or Galaxy SII they won't work. The main difference is the APN-type. On the Nexus S you must type "default" whereas for the GS or GSII they advise to type "internet". Why whould the settings change depending on the phone ??

Anyway, I'm happy now :)

3. MartinS

MartinS Android Expert

They do seem to differ phone by phone for some reason. The MMS setting I used for my Nexus One wouldn't work on the NS for O2 UK. In the end the MMS settings for my wife's Desire S seemed to work.

Nexus S Forum

The Nexus S release date was December 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

December 2010
Release Date
Reviews