1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support No Internet in 3G (GPRS)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mindwalker, May 24, 2011.

1. mindwalker

mindwalker Member
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Hey guys,

I hope this is not a completely noob question :)

So I just got my Nexus S yesterday.... based in the Netherlands at the mom.

I'm enjoying the phone thus far... been using it at home in my wireless with no problems. However I never really got the 3G internet to work. I do have the 3G symbol, but I can't get to any webpage either with full signal or with 2 bars like I have at the moment (-99 dbm 7 asu). I find this rather strange as I had no problems whatsoever with my Nokia 5800. With the Nokia I could get a GPRS (3G) internet connection even with one bar...
    I've looked into the settings but there's nowhere you can configure the 3G internet settings... so I guess they're pulled from the network automatically ?

I'm sure this is probably my wrong doing, but if it's not then it's a tragedy for a mobile phone.

Anyone has some good hints maybe ? :)

Advertisement

2. mindwalker

mindwalker Member
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    ok I solved my own problem... here's the solution if anyone in the Netherlands stumbles upon the same.

My Nexus S had the default APN of Rabo Mobiel. However my SIM card provider is T-Mobile. At this point I should mention that I bought the phone unlocked (or sim-free) so I'm surprised to see a default APN on the phone that I never subscribed to. There should be none I suppose.

On T-Mobile's dutch website there's instructions on how to configure a phone called T-Mobile G1 T-Mobile.nl Toestelhulp

Those set of instructions work for the Nexus S. The interesting point is that if you try to follow the instructions for the Galaxy S or Galaxy SII they won't work. The main difference is the APN-type. On the Nexus S you must type "default" whereas for the GS or GSII they advise to type "internet". Why whould the settings change depending on the phone ??

Anyway, I'm happy now :)

3. MartinS

MartinS Android Expert
    None

They do seem to differ phone by phone for some reason. The MMS setting I used for my Nexus One wouldn't work on the NS for O2 UK. In the end the MMS settings for my wife's Desire S seemed to work.

Tags: