• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No internet on wifi or data

D

Deleted User

Hi everyone. this is my first post.
Actually in 10 years of android this is the first time I haven't been able to google my way out of a problem.

I have a Moto G5+ which was my main phone until I got the G8 Plus a few moths back.
The G5+ has updates until Android 8.1.0
I Probably enabled developer options. No root.

I recently tried to use the old phone to get some photos etc from it, and it cant use internet anymore. Connected to router ok, can connect to mobile network ok if I put sim in. Neither can access internet.

Both work in newer phone, and wifi works on all my other devices.

So far i have tried:

Rebooting phone
Rebooting router.
Turning wifi, data airplane off/on (many times)
Resetting all network, wifi, blutooth settings
Replace sim then reboot.
Remove sim then reboot.

After all that reboot everything a few more times with various comber-nations of wifi, data on/off during reboot..

I'm about 100+ off/on reboot cycles in at this point. Obviously I'm not expecting to get mobile data with no sim.

I'm out of ideas.

Other interesting and probably related bits of info.

When I turned the phone on for first time in 1-2 months, with no sim. It wouldn't detect my wifi. Despite it being a favorite for many years. I could see other wifi in the area, but not mine. I rebooted phone and router many times. No change
This went away after I put SIM in and rebooted. Seems very odd!

Previously I had been occasionally using the phone to access wifi with no sim.

I cant use the USB. Its flogged out and can only just charge slowly with fast charger (12v). If I use regular 5v USB I get no charge no mater what I do. Takes about 8 hours to get full charge. If I prop phone and cable just right.
Haven't been able to get data connection to PC with usb for long time. Thats why I got new phone.
Spent about an hour trying to get multiple USB cables to establish data to PC. No Joy. A couple did charge briefly for a few seconds, which is an improvement on previous attempts. Even If I did get a data capable connection, no way I would be able to enable data transfer on phone without disturbing connection..

Possible workaround. Seems bluetooth still works. I can connect it to my Ubuntu 20.04 PC, but cant seem to transfer the files I want. I googled this and got very limited info on which software to install on PC to help. Most seemed a bit untrustworthy. Some guides required installing stuff on the phone, which obviously I cant do without some kind of connection to internet or other device. Recommendations welcome If you have something working on Ubuntu 20.04 to transfer files via blutooth.

I don't have an SD card, but I guess buying one is another option to move data..

Hello and welcome to Android Forums @MongrelShark :)

Your wifi issues might be a result of a hardware failure. However, a possible work around for transferring data from your old phone to your new phone may be possible using an application called "Bluetooth Sender Transfer and Share".

20201107_220050.png

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shawal.sender

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Update. Got an SD card. While I was transferring stuff to it. I again cant see my wifi. I can see all the other wifi in the street, but not my router that the phone has been connecting to as main internet for last 2 years.

I've been through this a few times now. I know it will come back if I boot the phone up with SIM inserted. Once its booted I can detect and see my router, even if I remove the SIM.

Still no joy getting internet from wifi or data. Even tried wifi hotspot at local shopping center. Same thing. Can connect to router, but no internet.
Sim can make and receive calls send sms and mms etc etc. but no internet. Its like there is some setting somewhere that turned off all internet. But I cant find any such setting.

Would love to know whats going on.

Upvote 0
How exactly would I install this with no way to transfer data to or from phone?

Possible workaround. Seems bluetooth still works
installing to your new phone and sending the app to your old phone vis Bluetooth.

Well according to your on words "
Possible workaround. Seems bluetooth still works." and Bluetooth is a method of transferring data. You ask how, install the app I recommend on your new phone and use it to transfer the same app "Bluethooth Sender" to your old phone. The use bluethooth sender from your old phone to transfer data to your new phone.

Screenshot_2020-11-10-02-48-47.png

Screenshot_2020-11-09-21-25-19.png

Thats how you transfer data by means of bluethooth.

You could try booting into safe mode and check your wifi.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones