• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root No lasting results from wiping battery

igcroush

Lurker
May 7, 2011
Hey everybody,
So I recently rooted my phone and installed Fresh Evo 3.5. I noticed my battery life wasn't as great as I hoped and read that I should wipe my battery stats. So, I did that and for the next charge/ discharge cycle my battery lasted for 27 hours, which was way longer then ever before. I charged my phone up again and I'm immediately back to 10% of battery per hour. Anyone know what could be going on?

Is it dropping that quickly with the screen on or off? If you're actually using the phone during that time, expect the battery to drop. Otherwise, that isn't particularly normal. Check partial wake usage as others have said. As for clearing battery stats. How exactly did you do it? The basic method is to charge the phone up fully, turn it off, charge it again until the light turns green, unplug it, repeat until the light turns green again, unplug it, boot up to recovery, wipe battery stats, then reboot normally. To be honest, I have my doubts as to whether or not it actually does anything. You'll hear some people it never does anything, you'll hear some people tell you it only works after flashing a ROM, you'll hear some people tell you it only works after flashing a kernel, you'll hear some people tell you it only works right after flashing a ROM, etc. etc. All I can tell you is in practice, it seems more like the placebo affect to me.

Upvote 0
Is it dropping that quickly with the screen on or off? If you're actually using the phone during that time, expect the battery to drop. Otherwise, that isn't particularly normal. Check partial wake usage as others have said. As for clearing battery stats. How exactly did you do it? The basic method is to charge the phone up fully, turn it off, charge it again until the light turns green, unplug it, repeat until the light turns green again, unplug it, boot up to recovery, wipe battery stats, then reboot normally. To be honest, I have my doubts as to whether or not it actually does anything. You'll hear some people it never does anything, you'll hear some people tell you it only works after flashing a ROM, you'll hear some people tell you it only works after flashing a kernel, you'll hear some people tell you it only works right after flashing a ROM, etc. etc. All I can tell you is in practice, it seems more like the placebo affect to me.

+1

Upvote 0

I use the cyanogen method for wiping battery stats

Charge to full 100%
While still plugged in, boot to recovery
Wipe battery stats
Reboot phone
Unplug phone from charger
Drain phone to 0% until phone shuts down completely
Plug phone back to charger and recharge back to 100%

On sense roms----Light turns green at 100%
On AOSP roms----Light turns green at 90% so......give it another hour on the charger

Upvote 0
I use the cyanogen method for wiping battery stats

Charge to full 100%
While still plugged in, boot to recovery
Wipe battery stats
Reboot phone
Unplug phone from charger
Drain phone to 0% until phone shuts down completely
Plug phone back to charger and recharge back to 100%

On sense roms----Light turns green at 100%
On AOSP roms----Light turns green at 90% so......give it another hour on the charger

I've never seen much of an objective difference in battery life from doing that, to be honest. If it makes a difference for you, more power to you. I just don't think it's the end-all-be-all that everyone makes it out to be. Not only that, but draining these types of batteries completely isn't the best thing to do to them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones