1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General No LED???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by novemberwhiskey, Jun 11, 2011.

1. novemberwhiskey

novemberwhiskey Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    Is it true that the SGSII does not have an LED notification light???

Is there something else that they use that I don't know about? That LED is so important for me.

Advertisement

2. pcbms

pcbms Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    That's right - there's no notification light on the phone but the free noLED app does the same job by putting flashing icons on the lock screen

3. adamantell

adamantell Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    Sales
    England
    Yeh using that works well imo

4. novemberwhiskey

novemberwhiskey Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    is there a reason for this? I really can't fathom why they wouldn't include it besides "the iphone doesn't have one" :eek:

the benefit of the LED is being able to see from across the room if you have a notification. I haven't used NoLED, so I am not sure if you can see the icons from that far away. But I doubt it.

This phone would be perfect otherwise.

5. daivik

daivik Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    Cost and internal space. Judging by the heat given off when I use GPS, the GPS "chip" is at the top. The camer is obviously at the top. The SIM and hence 3G "stuff" is at the top. The middle has the screen, battery, micro-SD slot and the mother board. Bottom has micro-USB and the speaker. I'm sure, if they really wanted, they could've put an LED in there at the top, but who knows, could have delayed design/delayed manufacturing process/cost more? Only Samsung engineers know the answer to that.

Although, an LED at the bottom, or an LED that curved with the silver rim, that was embedded in the glass (by about 1mm or 0.5mm-1mm) would have looks superb - and also thinking about it, it would cost more to make the LED visible. (as in the front is a complete black panel, apart from the tiny holes for the two sensors and camera on the front)

6. eurony1

eurony1 Lurker
    None

Jun 22, 2011
    just saw a comparison clip on YouTube where the Sammy Galaxy SII - while booting up showed what seemed to be an LED light indicator light up (flashed twice) from what seemed to be between the user facing camera lens and the light sensor closest to the earpiece. So from anyone who actually owns it, is there actually an LED light indicator that notifies emails, voicemails and battery status?

7. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

yeah, no LED on this phone. but noLED does a good job, apparently. havnt tried it coz i feel it might drain battery, not sure about this.. but i dont wanna push my battery any further than necessary, its already bad enough :D

8. elektrobix

elektrobix Member
    None

Oct 27, 2009
    UK
    You can change the size/colour of the icons on NoLED and it's noticeable when it flashes. I came from a Blackberry Bold which had an LED that i relied on a lot and i've had no trouble switching to this one. Doesn't appear to have any noticable impact on my battery life.

9. Peninsula

Peninsula Newbie
    None

May 31, 2011
    London, UK

That would be the proximity sensor! Definitely no notification LED on the SGSII.

The free app NoLED comes highly recommended by me if that counts for anything! :)

Doesn't drain battery in my experience, but if this is a concern in the settings for NoLED you can set if to blink for 1 hour only after a mail or text comes in. Also you can tell NoLED to turn off the icon if its in your pocket or face down due to the aforementioned proximity sensor!

10. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Android Expert
    None

May 13, 2010
    video editor
    Charlotte, NC
    to be honest, and very much to my surprise, not having an LED like on my old Evo hasn't bothered me one bit. i was afraid this would be the one bad thing about the SGS2, but no complaints there.

11. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Android Expert
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Medical Doctor
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Lots of people worry, but its really no big deal. We should have Backlight Notification for custom kernels/ROMs at some point soon, and then we'll be able to use the capacitive key backlights for notifications.

12. daivik

daivik Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    +1. There were a few for the SGS. I'm sure devs will update them for the GS2

13. uktivo

uktivo Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Actually you are correct. There is a weak red light that briefly flashes on start up but I think it could be screen bleed..also it is very weak and wouldn't be much good as an indicator.

14. jimlad

jimlad Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    no led is rubbish!

just get used to not having one, i also wished there was one

15. xmjox

xmjox Well-Known Member
    None

As others have said on here, NoLED is the solution you're after. It's better than an LED in my opinion as it shows different icons for each notification, so if you're expecting an e-mail but get a few txts and missed calls inbetween, you can differentiate between what the flashing is letting you know. Plus I can see it from across the room too so no worries there.

16. uktivo

uktivo Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Whilst technically I agree that noled is a good option. It doesn't play well with non stock lock screen.. such things like widget locker that I highly rate and use on my SG2.

With widget locker and noled active together, when messages appear, noled displays the moving icons, but when you activate the phone, it reverts to the stock lock program.

I have emailed the dev on this but haven't got an answer yet... once that is fixed, i agree, I think noled is a very good alternative to the standard led notification

17. loony

loony Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2011
    australia
    im to use to just checking, but love NoLED...great app.

18. xmjox

xmjox Well-Known Member
    None

I wasn't aware of that as I use the stock lock screen. Thanks for letting us know :) I am interested in widget locker so will bear this in mind. Hopefully they can fix the issue and let them play nicely together

19. Hammerpgh

Hammerpgh Member
    None

Sep 1, 2011
    I started using NoLED myself today after reading this thread (only had my SG II a week) and it does a good job but the only issue I have is that now when I slide the message icon across from the lock screen it no longer opens the message but just goes to the Home screen. Any way to change this?

Further to this just noticed that the message does load up after several seconds so it's just delayed.. would like it to be more instant than that so if anyone knows a setting to alter it it would be appreciated.

20. Riche101

Riche101 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 19, 2011
    Male
    EarthCaust Photography, Volunteer, Enviromental Re
    UK- Edinburgh, Brazil - 2 hrs from Rio de Janeiro
    Just got NoLed app after reading this thread I love it as unlike Leds which stop after a while the NoLed Icons stay on the screen