• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Lock For Xperia X10

suntower

Lurker
Nov 30, 2010
Hi

Just got my first Android phone. Sony XPeria X10.

I =hate= the swipe thingee to unlock the phone before use. I searched around here and found the 'No Lock' app by App Brain. I downloaded 1.04 and it installed properly, but does not actually -do- anything (like disable the swipe).

1. Am I doing something wrong or 2. Is there another app that does work properly with Xperia X10?

TIA,

---JC

Do you want to have no lock at all?

Are you sure that's wise?

For security you should have a pattern lock, in case you ever lose your phone. Don't make it easy for someone to use your phone, steal/prank your contacts, etc.

The swipe lock is to prevent accidental pressing of widgets if the screen comes on (like when you get a msg and it's in your pocket).

Upvote 0
I just want it to work like my old phone (W300i)... namely, I got a phone call in the car (with my headset) or I -wanted- to call someone and I could simply tap the side of the phone and I was in business.

Having to do the swipe thing is an accident waiting to happen. Just wanna be able to turn this on/off at will.

Do you want to have no lock at all?

Are you sure that's wise?

For security you should have a pattern lock, in case you ever lose your phone. Don't make it easy for someone to use your phone, steal/prank your contacts, etc.

The swipe lock is to prevent accidental pressing of widgets if the screen comes on (like when you get a msg and it's in your pocket).

Upvote 0
I just want it to work like my old phone (W300i)... namely, I got a phone call in the car (with my headset) or I -wanted- to call someone and I could simply tap the side of the phone and I was in business.

Having to do the swipe thing is an accident waiting to happen. Just wanna be able to turn this on/off at will.

Get Vlingo. Then launch Vlingo In Car when you're in the car. You can *tell* it whom to call or tap the humongous button. You can set it to read your emails and SMS when driving.

Two awesome features of Vlingo (and there are many more than two) - You set your home address into one of setup screens and then tell it to "Navigate Home" and it will turn on Navigation and Maps and show you the way home.

Another feature. Ask it ANYTHING. Doesn't have to be phone related, like "Who was the last Triple Crown winner?" It will tell you!

Voice recognition is pretty good. Not as good as Voice Command was. But heaps more functionality. Good tradeoff imo.

And I think when it's on, it prevents the keyguard from activating. Not 100% sure though.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll check it out. I'd still like to know how I can disable the swipe thing. I take full responsibility for whatever it does to me. ;)

Anyone?

Cheers,

---JC

Get Vlingo. Then launch Vlingo In Car when you're in the car. You can *tell* it whom to call or tap the humongous button. You can set it to read your emails and SMS when driving.

Two awesome features of Vlingo (and there are many more than two) - You set your home address into one of setup screens and then tell it to "Navigate Home" and it will turn on Navigation and Maps and show you the way home.

Another feature. Ask it ANYTHING. Doesn't have to be phone related, like "Who was the last Triple Crown winner?" It will tell you!

Voice recognition is pretty good. Not as good as Voice Command was. But heaps more functionality. Good tradeoff imo.

And I think when it's on, it prevents the keyguard from activating. Not 100% sure though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones