• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Love for the Zenwatch

NightAngel79

Mandalorian
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Northern Ky
Hate to see this section so dead. I absolutely LOVE my Zenwatch, which was recently on sale for 129. Only knock (imo) is the heart rate monitor in band, you have to press fingers on bezel to get heart rate.... only a small gripe, no wifi radio doesn't bother me. Will probably get newer version when they release it. Total win for ASUS

Hate to see this section so dead. I absolutely LOVE my Zenwatch, which was recently on sale for 129. Only knock (imo) is the heart rate monitor in band, you have to press fingers on bezel to get heart rate.... only a small gripe, no wifi radio doesn't bother me. Will probably get newer version when they release it. Total win for ASUS

I may upgrade, I love this thing. Best money spent.

I share your enthusiasm for the smartwatches,I'm into them just as much as the smartphones.
If not for already having more watches than I can pair at one time :paperbagdroid:,I'd go for the ZenWatch.
I picked up my LG G Watch for $70 in excellent condition & the $129 for the ZenWatch is a no-brainer. :thumbsupdroid:

Reactions: dan55
Upvote 0
I don't think wifi is a big thing. I have my phone with me everywhere except home and even then it's close to me 90% of the time. For that other 10% I'm not sure I'd want to waste battery staying connected to wifi.

The Zenfone does seem like a king in it's class for the price on specs.

The only knock I'd give is style (which is admittedly subjective). Like the first round of watches (LG G watch and Samsung Gear Live), the Zenwatch is basically rectangular. To me it screams "I'm wearing a smart watch". And that's not really what I want to scream to people, either because I don't want to be seen as a nerd or I don't want to be seen as showing off or whatever. I don't own a watch but I'm looking... aside from Zenwatch I'm looking at Moto 360 (yeah I know battery life) and LG G watch R.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
"High Street"... I had to google that one. A British thing apparently.

While some watches have a bezel that tends to protect the screen from scratches, this one seems opposite... the curve exposes the screen as most likely part to get scratched. But it has gorilla glass I understand...

Do you people find that the screen tends to get scratched?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I feel a little bad for putting in my two cents... really was just giving the reason why I personally didn't pull the trigger on buying a zenwatch (although I'm still considering my options). I guess it has more to do with me than it does the watch.

Here I see they've ranked the available Android Wear watches and Zenwatch came it at #1

And this reviewer can't even contain his enthusiasm for the Zenwatch.

Upvote 0
Well, back in September 2015 just after I posted comments above, I bought an original Moto 360 for $108 delivered. It lasted until June 2017 when the battery started dieing.

So I bought a like-new refurbished 1.63" zenwatch 2 last month (July 2017) for $89 delivered.

After a month I am in position to compare:

Advantages for moto 360 g1
* heart rate monitor (minor)
* easier to see outdoors
* stays connected to my phone over a longer range as long as phone and watch are in the house. Zen watch disconnects when Im on a different floor of my house

Advantages of zenwatch 2
* BATTERY! I can run with ambient face on use my watch heavily and have battery left at the end of the day
* android 2.0.
* speaker (on the large version)
* contrary to my comments two years ago, I now think tree zenwatch looks better.

Overall, both great watches and solid values. I think I just needed to build up my self confidence wearing a more traditional looking round smartwatch for awhile before I was ready to rock a bold square watch. Now I'm loving it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, back in September 2015 just after I posted comments above, I bought an original Moto 360 for $108 delivered. It lasted until June 2017 when the battery started dieing.

So I bought a like-new refurbished 1.63" zenwatch 2 last month (July 2017) for $89 delivered.

After a month I am in position to compare:

Advantages for moto 360 g1
* heart rate monitor (minor)
* easier to see outdoors
* stays connected to my phone over a longer range as long as phone and watch are in the house. Zen watch disconnects when Im on a different floor of my house

Advantages of zenwatch 2
* BATTERY! I can run with ambient face on use my watch heavily and have battery left at the end of the day
* android 2.0.
* speaker (on the large version)
* contrary to my comments two years ago, I now think tree zenwatch looks better.

Overall, both great watches and solid values. I think I just needed to build up my self confidence wearing a more traditional looking round smartwatch for awhile before I was ready to rock a bold square watch. Now I'm loving it.

Well, I have been testing a Huawei watch for Google for past several months and I just recently wore the ol Zen 2 for a couple days. Couldn't get over how much smaller the Zen 2 was. Same watch face looked microscopic on Zen 2....

The Huawei is great, but when it comes time for me to buy my next watch, it will be the Zenwatch 3 for sure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones