1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

No message notifications

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Capybopy, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Capybopy

Capybopy Newbie
    None

Oct 8, 2016
    Once again I'm not getting notified when a text arrives. This happened before but then fixed itself somehow. My settings are set to "allow" notifications, Under settings/notifications I have a default notification listed. And in contacts, I've given each of my family members their own sound. My S5 handled that perfectly...why can't the S8? For awhile I was being notified but only with the default sound. The individual sounds didn't happen. Now the default is back to not happening either...it's so not cool....

Advertisement

2. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Android Expert

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    I have a feeling it's due to the bane of my marshmallow Android life. My guess it's doze putting the app to sleep. Not sure how well this works in Samsung as it never worked on my Sony. Honestly I rooted my s8 as soon as I got it just so I could disable this feature so who knows. Try going to settings, device maintenance, battery. If you've got save power turned on then untick your message app. Now under the estimated time left on your battery there should be battery usage. Press that, press the 3 vertical dots top right, optimize battery usage and make sure your message app isn't being optimized. Just between you and me optimized actually means the opposite since marshmallow. How can an app be optimized if it works at less capacity than if it wasn't? They think they're doing us a favour not giving notifications when we actually want them. Anywho sorry, a bit of a rant, I hope it helps :)

3. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Android Expert

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Although one bug I've noticed with this phone is that randomly the phone will go silent. Notifications will flash but they won't sound. Rebooting the phone's always fixed that until a few weeks later until it does it again o_O

Samsung Galaxy S8

Samsung Galaxy S8